The Audi Doctor
The Audi Doctor, Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience, 17 years with Audi, Factory trained

Volvo V70: auto transmission..highway..clunk and you feel a bump

Customer Question

Volvo V70 D5 from 2006 185 HK, auto transmission problems, when forexampel entering the highway and the car have to enter last gear it gives a clunk and you feel a bump in the car aswell, this is only when enters last gear all other are okey.

Thanks in advance
Category: Car
Expert:  The Audi Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Thank You for choosing Just Answer for your query. Yes, I can help you.

I'm sorry to say that the gearboxes in this year model Volvo are not the most reliable. I suggest you take it to a transmission specialty shop or the dealer.

These symptoms would be consistent with an internal failure of the transmission. They should first interrogate the fault memory of the on board diagnostics with an Volvo capable scanner to see if there are any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) stored associated with this condition. Further testing, diagnosis, and repairs would be based on any DTCs retrieved.

If the source of the condition has still not been determined an internal inspection and possibly servicing the transmission would be recommended at this time. These are the only repairs that can be made short of removal and replacement or rebuilding of the transmission. A service of the transmission entails removal of the sump pan and inlet filter replacement, as well as replacement of a portion of the fluid. If the friction material of the clutch packs has deteriorated, the debris would collect in the sump and possibly plug the inlet filter. Replacement of the filter and fluid as well as cleaning of the sump, may restore performance if it has not gone too far. An assessment of the transmissions condition could be made after said procedures were performed.

I hope I have answered your questions and addressed your concerns. Should you have further questions on this matter, please do not hesitate to ask. I want you to be 100% satisfied with my answer.

Positive feedback, referrals and bonuses are always APPRECIATED. If you accept my answer, please don’t forget to leave feedback.

Thank You!
Jake “The Auto Doctor”
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

do you think this could be a software problem?
Based on your symptom descriptions I do not think that this is likely, but without driving the vehicle and experiencing the condition, it is "possible". That would be better for a specialty shop or the dealer to determine.

It's always a good idea to see if there is an update available dependent on what version is currently loaded and what is available.

After inspection a specialty shop or the dealer would check for available updates. Even if one is available there is no guarantee that the update will correct the condition. But again, once a proper road test and Inspection are performed, the condition could be best ascertain and you advised accordingly.

Thank You and let me know if you have any furhter questions.

Jake