The Audi Doctor
The Audi Doctor, Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience, 17 years with Audi, Factory trained

you do when the inner axle hub and spline will not pop..pry..1.6l

what do you do when the inner axle hub and spline will not pop out of the transmission no matter how much force you use to try to pry it out? 1994 Geo prism 4 speed 1.6l
Category: Car
Expert:  The Audi Doctor replied 4 years ago.

Thank You for choosing Just Answer for your query. Yes, I can help you.

Typically, two pry bars 180 degrees apart, and “popping” the joint out, and sometimes turning the axle a bit several times between attempts. This will require more straight shock force rather than actual pressure. They can be very difficult if the initial pry is excessive and not a straight pull. I am afraid you may have already done this. If the force is not straight and even, it an cause the clip to gall or become damaged in such a way that removal becomes nearly impossible, or perhaps the clip or axle was failed when it was installed.

Is there any way to get a slide hammer in there and get a straight pull? You can also try getting some stout pry bars and try “popping” and turning the axle. Most shops have a guy that has the knack of getting the stubborn ones out. I’m managing the shop I’m at now, but every once in awhile I have to “glove up” and offer an assist.

Unfortunately there are no “tricks” or hidden fasteners. Experience and luck are going to win this one.

I hope I have answered your questions and addressed your concerns. Should you have further questions on this matter, please do not hesitate to ask. I want you to be 100% satisfied with my answer.

Positive feedback, referrals and bonuses are always APPRECIATED. If you accept my answer, please don’t forget to leave feedback.

Thank You!
Jake “The Auto Doctor”