internal88
internal88, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  I've been working with automotive industry for almost 20 years. I also have an engineering background. Saving one car at a time.
63512786

gas pedal , there was a grinding noise..highway..my rear

Hello, I hit a bump the other day and later on I pressed on the gas pedal , there was a grinding noise. The next day as I was doing 60mph on the highway, I couldve sworn a flat circular object fell out of the car. I can see in my rear view mirror, that it was rolling like a wheel. What could it be? Thanks!
Category: Car
Expert:  internal88 replied 2 years ago.

internal88 : Hello and welcome.
internal88 : I have seen a brake backing shield came off from a vehicle. It is black and circular.
Customer:

Thank you

Customer:

this one appeared silver and circular...

Customer:

when I looked in the rear view mirror, it looked like it was rolling like a wheel...

Customer:

was very flat.

internal88 : Hold on
Customer:

I continued driving the car fora bout 4 more hours..and the car performed well..

but not sure what the object was

Customer:

ok

internal88 : Do you have alloy wheels?
Customer:

yes

internal88 : Obviously you did not see anything obvious right?
Customer:

no....

rims were fine

internal88 : I thought about it.
Customer:

ok

internal88 : The weakest pint is the backing plate or the cat converter shield.
internal88 : They should be secured from the factory however I have seen them come off.
Customer:

ok

Customer:

does it come off when you accelerate the car?

internal88 : Possible but vey rare.
internal88 : Hold on
Customer:

ok

internal88 : Check my database
internal88 : Please hold
internal88 : You have a accent?
internal88 : 1.6 liters
Customer:

elantra

internal88 : Ok
internal88 : I see that there a shield that protects the header.
Customer:

of the brakes?

internal88 : It is silver rectangular shaped.
Customer:

ok

internal88 : There should be nothing loose underneath the car.
Customer:

so you think it's brake related?

internal88 : If you have time, I need you to go behind the wheel.
internal88 : And see if there is a backing plate.
Customer:

ok

internal88 : For the other heat shield you will have to slid under the car.
internal88 : It is right above the exhaust collectors.
Customer:

ok

internal88 : I don't think is from your car.
internal88 : But check out all the safety points.
Customer:

ok

internal88 : Along the front end.
Customer:

if it is the backing plate, would i be able to still operate the vehicle

internal88 : Like I said all the important components are bolted down.
Customer:

ok

internal88 : It is very rare it will come off, unless it was loose from the factory.
internal88 : If is the backing plate that would create a grinding noise.
Customer:

I see....

internal88 : Then evenly fall off
internal88 : And also this is the weakest components under the chassis.
Customer:

I see

internal88 : It is also called the disc brake dust shield.
Customer:

ok

got it

internal88 : Yes it is safe to drive without the back plate.
internal88 : However I would suggest you to inspect it.
Customer:

ok

internal88 : That is all I have for you.
Customer:

Thank you. It helped alot.

internal88 :

Please ACCEPT my Answer if I have helped you. This is how I get credit for my research. A BONUS is greatly appreciated! I only strive for Excellence, so if you have further questions please let me know. I will still help you after the acceptance.

internal88, Auto Mechanic
Experience: I've been working with automotive industry for almost 20 years. I also have an engineering background. Saving one car at a time.