mechanicaltone
mechanicaltone, Mechanic
Experience:  Hi my name is Tony. I have been a qualified mechanic for over 12 years.

zafira 2.0 tdi 2005car jolts forward started in gear..it gearbox

Customer Question

zafira 2.0 tdi 2005
car jolts forward started in gear with clutch in?? simple answer is dont do it i suppose but worry its the clutch or is it gearbox as it crunches between 1st and 2nd
Any ideas?

Category: Car
Expert:  mechanicaltone replied 2 years ago.
Hi, there are a couple of different issues that can cause this. They are the clutch is worn, the clutch slave cylinder or clutch master cylinder is leaking and will need replacing. You will need to check for clutch fluid leaks first, then try and see if it can be adjusted. If these two are okay then the clutch is worn. Even if the gearbox had a problem in it,the vehicle should not move when in gear and clutch is engaged.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for that. The clutch is 28,000 miles old from replacement..how do I check the levels or leaks on clutch? And how much would it cost to repair a slave or master cylinder or is it part of whole clutch? Dan
Hi the only way to check is too have a look under the bonnet of the car at the clutch mater cylinder located on the firewall and also the slave cylinder with is located on the gearbox. If you cannot see any leaks then they are probably okay.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where's the firewall?!!!
Would you suspect I need a new clutch/flywheel? Or should I wait for more symptoms to occur to locate the problem?
Hi the firewall is the back wall of the engine bay. You will have to check the other cylinders first if they are leaking or need adjusting. What does the clutch pedal feel like? How high do you have to release the pedal before it disengages the clutch?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi! Thanks for reply. The clutch pedal is absolutely normal, bites when it should, isn't high, doesn't slip, that's why I'm baffled! And the duel mass flywheel kit is 600 quid before labour!! So I wanted to be sure what it was! The ONLY symptom is it jolts fwd when starting in gear with clutch pedal IN. HELP!!!
Hi you will have to try and adjust the clutch pedal. It sounds like the clutch is not engaged enough when you are trying to start it in gear. You can adjust the rod that connects to the clutch pedal under the dash to get rid of some free play in the pedal.