proautotech
proautotech, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  College Training. Current Lead Tech
67965572

used car in the $2k to $3k range, probably a minivan or smallish..cars

I'm looking for a used car in the $2K to $3K range, probably a minivan or smallish SUV. (We'd love a Japanese model but don't think we can get a good one in that price range.) Anyway, could someone here offer a list of things to look at in the cars we check out? For example, 1. check transmission by doing xxx, 2. check whether oil has been changed by... I'd like to make such suggestions into a form we can take with us and record what we noted in looking at a specific car.

proautotech :

Thanks for trusting us with your problem. I have trained in the automotive field and currently work as a lead technician. I will be helping you today

proautotech :

Here is a good write up on what to check. I especially want to know about the history. Getting a carfax is not expensive and very useful to verify accidents and repairs.

proautotech :

www.craigslist.org is a good source for used vehicles.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I always do a carfax. what I'm worried about is stuff deep in the guts of the car (like the timing belt or the tranny) whichare poised to go.
This is hard to verify the condition. It can look new but be original. You can only rely on the documents the owner has. That is why many times its worth more with all service records. The price your looking for you can easily pickup a dodge caravan in great shape. You will have to take you time looking and weed out the junk. But I know you can do it. Verify everything runs as it should. Check for anything out of the ordinary like rust paint covering up a problem. Give it a good drive. Bring it up to speed fast test everything turn corners sharp use the brakes hard. If everything checks out you are still going to be taking some what of a gamble. That is the way it is, even brand new vehicles may have issues. But you can prevent all of the hidden issues by giving it a through drive and look around.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for all the info - appreciate it greatly! I'm accepting now.
Your welcome