CarQuestionGuy
CarQuestionGuy, Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Auto Technician for 5 years, ASE Refrigerant Handler, ASA, iATN
8613158

280 mercedes benz: Hello my 1995 C..ignition switch on..wiring harness

Customer Question

Hello my 1995 C-280 mercedes benz (VIN: WDBHA28E5SF54703) will not start and turns off electrical power after turning ignition switch on. This all happened after replacing the wiring harness and the valve cover gasket.
Category: Car
Expert:  CarQuestionGuy replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for asking your question on JustAnswer. My name is Steve and I'll do my best to answer your question.

The first thing you need to do is check the battery and battery cable connections. I'm not sure which wiring harness you changed, but that could be the source of the problem too.

I have repaired may cars that have had this very problem and it ended up being the battery connections. They were either dirty or loose or the cables themselves had corroded under the plastic coating.

If I were you I would check the wiring harness that you replaced and any connections that you removed or installed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hello, I have already do what you have recommended even before I asked the question. I'm still having the same problem only this time when I lock the doors the power does not go out - but still no crank!
Do you have a voltmeter that you know how to use? If so, I can help you find out why this problem is happening.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I surfed the mercedes benz forum and found a recommedation from someone who had a similar problem. It was the overload - voltage relay. I replaced it and it worked - the car is now running fine. Thanks for the help but I was not really able to get the answer from this site - maybe next time.