Amedee
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Rodeo: My check engine light..sensors..ignition coil

My check engine light on my Rodeo 04 3.5L comes on for maybe 4 days and goes off for 1 day, and when it comes on my cruise control dies....... have changed the Oxy sensors once...... still does it............... could it be the ignition coil...... readouts point to cylinder 1 missing.... and multiple cylinders...... missing at times..... but I barely feel that..... any pointers
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

Are you saying that you get a P0301 or a P0300 code in the computer?

Can you feel the engine misfire while running?

Have you replaced the tune up parts?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The code in the portable "computer" originally said weak oxygen sensor..... changed that. The most recent check at OReillys showed 'cylinder 1 missing.... then multiple cylinders missing randomly........ in the morning or occasionally during the day my foolt on the gas pedal senses that there is hesitating in the engine and it is slower to pick up speed (just occasionally)....... the Rodeo has 111,ooo miles on it and we changed out the spark plugs for months ago.... using the original recommended ones (expensive, because it is a Honda engine in this 04)...... I have felt this hesitation only in the past 2 mnths or so..................
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Ok.. you might just have bad new spark plugs or bad ignition coils if these have not been replaced. If the engine is misfiring under a load, I would suspect one of those as a possible cause.

If the engine is misfiring at idle only, I would suspect an air or a vacuum leak.

Also, the fuel injectors are pretty common on this engine to cause the engine to misfire. Just be sure that the fuel pressure regulator is not leaking fuel into the vacuum hose/line and that the mass air flow sensor and fuel pressure checks out ok as well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Check Engine Light came on LONG BEFORE we changed the plugs so I doubt if the plugs are the problem.............. is it engine coil singular............. does my engine have just one ignition coil and if so can you tell me where to find it on the engine... and I forgot to mention my ABS light comes on intermittently too........ wonder if that is part of the check engine light..................
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
You have 6 ignition coils. Any one of them could go bad causing the engine to misfire. All of them are located on top of the valve covers. Three on the right bank and three on the left bank.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Last question..... Amedee............. will a full diagnostic check (one of those hour long ones) that cost between $$55 and $99 indicate which coils may be bad if that is the problem.............. replacing all would be mindboggling expensive.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

sorry for the delay!

YES.. doing a diagnostic on the vehicle will determine which cylinder is misfiring so you will not have to spend money replacing all of the ignition coils.

I hope this helps!

Please let me know if you have any further questions!

Amedee
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector