AMD
AMD, Master Technician
Experience:  L1 Advanced Level Diagnostics Specialist
65953032

2000 chrysler: 1000 miles away...van is jumping out of gear.

I have a 2000 Christler Grand Voiger that my daughter and family are using in Tempe AZ. I am 1000 miles away. The van is jumping out of gear. He recently changed oil, and the filter in the tranmission and toped the fluids. The van has about 170,000 miles on it.

Can you advise me?
Submitted: 2 years ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Car
Expert:  AMD replied 2 years ago.

amd_hcds :

Hello and thank you for choosing just answer.

amd_hcds :

It's a tough one to estimate how much this transmission will last. I defently would not attempt to take a 1000 miles trip.

amd_hcds :

Now when you say it pops out of gear, do you mean it goes to neutral or slips? Does it do it in a certain gear or all

Customer:

It does not go into nuteral. It looses it drive. I am having my son-in-law double check the fluid is full. If not to over fill it one quart to make sure the filter did not fall out.

Customer:

Do know where a good shop/or mechanic would be in the Tempe AZ area?

Customer:

I found a used transmission for $840 from Quality Used Transmissions. Are they reliable?

amd_hcds :

I don't live in that area so I wouldn't endorse anyone I don't know however I suggest you take your vehicle to a chrysler dealership, That is the best place to repair your vehicle. I show a dodge\chrysler dealership on 7975 South Autoplex Loop, Tempe, AZ

amd_hcds :

When purchasing transmission I suggest you don't purchase the transmission and have someone install it. Have the shop that's installing the transmission supply the transmission and give you a warranty

amd_hcds :

I will tell you why

amd_hcds :

If you buy the trans yourself and have mechanic A install it, If a month later something goes wrong with the transmission and you call the company that you bought the trans from they will say OK we'll send you a new one just take out the broken one and send it to us and we'll send you a new one, Now mechanic A will tell you I will charge you to take the broken trans out and put the new one in because it's not my fault that the trans went bad you supplied it I just put it in. While if you let mechanic A supply the trans you have nothing to worry about, if it goes bad within he warranty period then you take it to mechanic A and he'll worry about everything else.

Customer:

It makes sence to me that they should suppley and install it.

Customer:

What Codes do I need to watch out for?

amd_hcds :

Yes that's the best way of doing it. The dealership is a preferred location to have the transmission diagnosed and fixed as needed. THey might be pricey but it comes with alot of benefits.

amd_hcds :

Sorry I didn't get your question, What do you mean by watching out for codes?

Customer:

The next step would be to get the van to the shop, so they can put their computer on it. When they do that what codes would indicate that the transmission is not worth fixing.

amd_hcds :

Well usually in your transmission we look at something called the clutch index, It's basically a program that's build into the computer which will tell you the percentage of the clutch material left and if slipping is happening. If the clutch index is low then the trans will need new clutches which means it will need to be replaced or overhauled. that's the common problem with your transmission, Clutches wear out and fluid passages get clogged.

amd_hcds :

Ask the shop for your clutch index reading, If the clutch index is high but the transmission is slipping you might have low pressure from the pump or a sticking pressure regulator valve which then will set a code indicating which one is sticking, If that's the case then it will be repaired without needing to replace the transmission.

Customer:

What is the normal range for overhauling the transmission/ or replacing the clutches?

amd_hcds :

I personally wouldn't bother overhauling a transmission since your car will be down for a week at least and then it's the same results and usually it costs more than replacing the trans with a reman. A remanufactured transmission is basically an overhauled transmission by a transmission company ready to go, It will save you time since the vehicle will be down for 1 day, and the cost will be less since these companies that overhaul these transmissions offer a better price since they do wholesale than an individual transmission being overhauled and their warranty is better than any trans shop.

amd_hcds :

Also replacing the clutches only is not a good idea becuase let's say you spent 700 dollars in labor to replae the clutches. Then a month later something else goes in the transmission now you have to spend another 700 dollars to tear the trans apart and fix it. So if you're going to replace one component replace everything while at it so you can spend the labor one time.

Customer:

What price range would I expect to replace the transmission with a remanufactured one?

amd_hcds :

I would say around 1200 parts and 8 hours of labor

amd_hcds :

usually they come with 3 years 36,000 mile warranty. These days i've seen a few companies that give ya 5 years 100,000 for an extra fee

amd_hcds :

I would take that fee gladly

Customer:

If it is over $1500 it may be a little high.

amd_hcds :

I know transmissions are not cheap. You have to shop around to see your best option. I will summurize my recommendation. Get as much quotes as possible, go to the dealership. there's a good transmission company called AAMCO, they are a global company that specializes in transmissions, get a quote from there. If you know a local transmission shop get a quote there as well. Then find the diffrence in price between overhaul vs. reman vs. used.

Customer:

What is the name of the dealership on Autoplex Loop in Nempe, AZ? Do you have their contact information?

amd_hcds :

The dealership is called Tempe Dodge\chrysler and their contact no. is(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Customer:

Thankyou for your help.

amd_hcds :

And for AAMCO they are located on 211 W Southern Ave tempe,AZ and their phone no. is(NNN) NNN-NNNN

AMD, Master Technician
Experience: L1 Advanced Level Diagnostics Specialist