Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician. 30+ years in the car repair business.
10906483

2004 3.6 v-6 cooling system going into a vacum, Why?

Category: Car
Expert:  Dj replied 2 years ago.

Dj :

Hello and thank you for trusting Just Answer with your question. I'm Dj.

Dj :

What symptoms are you seeing? You stated that the cooling system is pulling a vacuum. What is it that you are seeing that shows the system is creating a vacuum?

Dj :

Dj

Customer:
Dj :

My system shows that you are typing but nothing is showing up on the screen? Does it appear to be working on your side?

Customer:

no

radiator hoses go flat

Dj :

Is this after the engine cools down?

Dj :

The radiator cap is a two way valve. One way it holds 15 pounds of pressure on the cooling system. This raises the boiling point of the coolant to 260 degrees to protect the engine. The other valve is supposed to release the vacuum the builds when the engine cools down. When this valve opens, coolant is pulled from the coolant recovery tank. This is the part that's not working.

Dj :

Either the radiator cap is bad and the second valve is stuck or the hose from the radiator to the coolant recovery tank is plugged or kinked.

Customer:

yes. when I remove the cap they return to shapr

where is the second valve ?

Dj :

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]133.50515463917526[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

See where it says "vacuum reliefe valve" That's the part thats stuck or defective.

Dj :
Dj :

It's a part of the radiator cap.

Customer:

I purchased a new cap earlier today. I have not replaced it yet.

I do not notice a large loss of coolant.

Dj :

You don't have a leak. Just a stuck valve.

Dj :

If you had a leak, the hoses wouldn't collapse, you would just suck air into the system.

Customer:

Will this couse the system to display a message to check coolant level ?

Dj :

Yes is can.

Customer:

When this happens is the pump circulating coolant ?

Dj :

It won't circulate as much as it should because the hoses are collapsed.

Dj :

But it's still circulating some coolant.

Customer:

so the hoses remain collapsed while driving.

Dj :

As the engine warms up, the coolant expands and when it does, the hoses will fill out.

Customer:

Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX replace the cap.

Customer:
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Master Technician. 30+ years in the car repair business.