sean
sean, Technician
Experience:  Certified Ford Master Technician. Technician since 1984.
31670004

Bought a 58 reg 1.3 multijet yesterday from a dealer..electronic

Bought a '58 reg 1.3 multijet yesterday from a dealer, came with a second key(half size and
not electronic) My question is; It WORKS! How does it operate the immmobiliser. Should I
be concerned?
Category: Car
Expert:  sean replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I hope I can offer you some assistance.

When you say the key isn't electronic do you mean it isn't a push button remote fob style?

Let me know and I'll reply as soon as I can.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes Sean that's exactly what Imean . The main key is the remote type and then there

is this defeatured version which still operates the ignition

Expert:  sean replied 4 years ago.

Hello again,

yes this is perfectly normal operation. The smaller key has a small electronic transponder inside it that is coded to the vehicle immobiliser system. If a key was used that wasn't coded to the vehicle then it wouldn't start. The code in the key changes every time the ignition is operated to prevent any form of electronic scanner been able to reproduce it.

The reason the other key is larger is due to the fact it contains the electronics for the locking system, this key also obviously has a transponder inside it.

The reason you don't get two fob type keys is just down to the cost to the manufacturer.

I hope this clarifies things for you but if I can assist further let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes and enjoy your new car,

Sean.