Auto_Enlightenment
Auto_Enlightenment, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Technician
66798540

brake fluid pumps..valve cover, near the distributor or where??

I know the brake fluid pumps on a 1983 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud are on top of the engine , but exactly where? Are they under the valve cover, near the distributor or where??. I am not blind but i just can;t see them. One of the pumps is defective and not supplying fluid to the accumulator for the rear brakes. I am a licensed mechanic ( just don't feel very bright), so be technical as you wish. Maybe a picture would help.

Auto_Enlightenment :

Hello, I would like to assist if I can. Please give me a moment to look into this. Thanks.

Auto_Enlightenment :

This guy has a great 6 part series on the Silver Cloud Brake System. Very informative and a great break down on how this unique system works. I would recommend watching all 6 videos but I believe this is the video which talks about what I believe you are looking for.

Click here for Video 2 of 6

Customer:
Customer:

Whops! Sorry, it is a 1970 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow. The films do not seem to apply to the car I am working on.

Auto_Enlightenment :

Oops, sorry, I see that now. It's hard to find information on these vehicles but from what I can tell of other model Rolls-Royce's with this type of braking system, the fluid pump is ran off of the cam shaft. I would look for any unuaul objects mounted near the front or rear of the cam shaft which have brake lines running to them.

Auto_Enlightenment :

sorry "unusual objects mounted near..." not "unuaul" :)

Auto_Enlightenment :

It should be driven by a push rod.

Auto_Enlightenment :

I think I finally found an article which should help us here. It goes through the generations of pump designs and locations etc. Click Here for the Article

Auto_Enlightenment :

This article references the Shadow but I'm sure the systems are similair between models.

Customer:
Thanks. If I can do anything else for you please don't hesitate to ask. I will always do all I can to assist.
I hope you get those brakes working, sounds like a fun job. Thank you for allowing me to assist with your repair, it was a pleasure to work with you!

If you have not done so, please take a minute to leave Positive Feedback. Your Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and improves my reputation as an Expert on JustAnswer. Leave Feedback Here: http://www.justanswer.com/feedback/leave-feedback.aspx

If you ever have another repair question feel free to request me personally here:
http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-auto-enlightenment/
I will always do all I can to assist you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did get the brakes fixed on the Rolls. The master cylinder was plugged feeding the rear pump.Cleaned and Flushed out all the fluid and replaced with new Dot 3. Works like a charm!

That's great, I'm glad to hear you got it working!