Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.

2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara: very rough idling and galloping..scanner

I have a 2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara. The Service Engine Soon light came on after several days of very rough idling and galloping while cruising. I have a OBD II scanner which displayed code 102. I then ordered the Air Flow Temperature Sensor, locating the correct part number on the web. When I got the part it fit perfectly and was a snap to install. I checked the air cleaner and it looked good on both sides. The problem still exists although my wife says it's not as bad, I don't agree. Any suggestions?
Category: Car
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.

Hello I'm Neal and I am here to help resolve your issue. If I cannot help I will opt out and refer your question to another expert.

That code indicates it could be a problem with the circuit and if the new sensor did not fix the problem you may have wiring damage or a bad connector. It is also possible, but rare that the problem is actually the apcm.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What is an APCM?
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.
That was supposed to be PCM for Powertrain Contol Module, please excuse the typo!!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
One more question please. You mentioned possible wiring damage. Does the air flow sensor have a wire that connects directly to the battery? I ask because just before this problem started I noticed a large build-up of corrosion on both battery terminals. I cleaned them off with baking soda and water and sprayed them with a battery terminal laquer protector. Just came to mind while I was waiting. Thanks.
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.
No it does not go directly to the battery. Check your connections for the maf and use dielectric grease on them to be sure they are clean and making good contact.