CarQuestionGuy
CarQuestionGuy, Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Auto Technician for 5 years, ASE Refrigerant Handler, ASA, iATN
8613158

saab: roof..rained..rust fast and could i spray wd40 or liquid wrech

Customer Question

the key will not turn on on my son's saab. he forgot to put the roof up the other day and we had some stroms and it rained. could the ingention have rust fast and could i spray wd40 or liquid wrech into the key hole to lossen it up? thanks tom
Category: Car
Expert:  CarQuestionGuy replied 4 years ago.
It does not take long for rust to form. I'm not sure if that is what is causing the problem or not, but if it didn't happen before it got rained on then it very well could have caused this problem.

I would use WD-40 to try and get it to loosen up. You can spray it in and wiggle the key around in it, then spray more in and wiggle more. WD-40 is also used to dry things out so it would be good to do anyway just to get it dry if nothing else.

You can also use graphite lubricant on locks and ignition lock cylinders, but it is better to use this when they are dry.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

THANKS, I'LL TRY IT AND SEE IF IT WORKS

TOM

OK. I hope it does. Good luck!