Auto_Enlightenment
Auto_Enlightenment, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Technician
66798540

1991 Isuzu trooper: check engine light..egr..lights came..connectors

1991 Isuzu Trooper EPU - U214
Part # XXXXX unit #0Z12 California
after checking the trouble codes for a "check engine light" I repaired the EGR system as the codes directed.
Upon running the vehicle, the following lights came on, low fuel, battery and check engine all together.
When I went back to the computer to check on this reading, there was no blinking to notify me that the computer was in diagnostic mode. Reading through the manual again I read that the diagnostic mode, spade connectors unplugged, must be exited AFTER the power is turned off. I fear that I may have unplugged the diagnostic clips spade connectors while the computer was in the powered up mode.
What can be done to determine the true situation here? Economy is everything so any recommendations for inexpensive sources to find parts will be greatly appreciated
Thank you
Bill Holly
Category: Car
Expert:  Auto_Enlightenment replied 2 years ago.

Auto_Enlightenment :

Hello, sorry to hear you are having troubles. I will do all I can to help.

I would start by disconnecting the battery cables. With the cables disconnected, turn the key to the on/run position. Next, clamp the two battery cable terminals together with some vice grip pliers or hold thme together for a few minutes. This procedure is called a capacitive discharge and will discharge all computer capacitors which resets everything. You can now hook the cables back up to the battery. This is always a good first step anytime there are quirky things going on with modern car electronic control systems.

Give this a try first and let me know how it turns out. If it does not correct the problem then let me know and we can go further.

Auto_Enlightenment :

Also, which motor is in your Trooper so I can look some things up in preperation for any additional trouble shooting?

Customer:

Thank you for the quick response.

Customer:

I will give this a try.\

Auto_Enlightenment :

Sounds good :)

Customer:

The engine is a four cylinder

Customer:

I have made the disconnection of the battery and turned the ignition to on and clamped the positive and negative battery cables together for about five minutes. Then turned off the ignition and reconnected the battery and started the car.

Customer:

Unfortunately, the check low fuel and battery lights are still on. What now?

Auto_Enlightenment : I'm on my phone at the lake right now. Can we resume our chat this evening?
Auto_Enlightenment :

Ok, so I've examined the circuits for these lights and they are all grounded by different components to make the light illuminate. The fuel light gets its ground from the fuel tank sending unit. The Batttery/Charging light gets its ground from the alternator. The Check Engine light gets its ground from the engine computer. The only thing common to all these is the instrument cluster itself.

Are we sure the alternator is charging and that there is fuel in the tank?

Customer:

Thank you for following up.

Customer:

I am not sophisticated in diagnostics, however, I started the car and let it warm up then disconnected the battery. The engine died immediately. Alternator? As for the fuel light, there is fuel and this light has never before shown its face. Too many coincidences seems to me. I will take the alternator out and get it bench tested.

Auto_Enlightenment :

If the engine dies as soon as you disconnect the battery then the alternator is definitely not supplying enough voltage to keep the system running. Is the belt tight and in good shape? Also, think of anything that could have been compromised when you repaired the EGR system. Check for obvious problems like damaged wires, belt, etc.

Experience: ASE Master Certified Technician
Thank you for allowing me to assist with your repair, it was a pleasure to work with you!

If you have not done so, please take a minute to leave Positive Feedback. Your Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and improves my reputation as an Expert on JustAnswer. Leave Feedback Here: http://www.justanswer.com/feedback/leave-feedback.aspx

If you ever have another repair question feel free to request me personally here:
http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-auto-enlightenment/
I will always do all I can to assist you.