Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

anything that would cause a noisey lifter when changing a oil pump

Customer Question

is there anything that would cause a noisey lifter when changing a oil pump
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 5 years ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

please explain what you are doinh

tims auto repair :

doing

tims auto repair :

what is the engine size?

tims auto repair :

how many miles is on the car?

tims auto repair :

did the lifter make the noise before you replaced the oil pump?

Customer:

no

tims auto repair :

what engine do you have?

tims auto repair :

ow many miles is on the car?

tims auto repair :

are you there?

Customer:

yes Im here its a 97 olds regency 3.8 we had oil pressure lght flash fast one day.acted like oil pump,changed pump,

tims auto repair :

ok

Customer:

now we have same noise . this trouble happened very fast car only has 60,000 and is babied

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

what you need to do here..

tims auto repair :

is to remove the oil pressure sender..

tims auto repair :

install a mechanical gage...to check the pressure

tims auto repair :

the problem may not have been the pump itself

tims auto repair :

but

tims auto repair :

the pick-up strainer inside the oilpan

tims auto repair :

this can get clogged with sludge sometimes

tims auto repair :

restricting the pressure

tims auto repair :

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Customer:

did that pick up strainer looks gr@ we blew out out oil sensor hole

Customer:

we need further info as weve been that far we will be willing to accept a answer to our problem

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

the next stepis to check the oil pressure,,,,just to make sure it has good pressure

tims auto repair :

if so,,,then,,the problem may be that the lifter has leaked down...

tims auto repair :

sometimes the oil hole in the lifter will get dirty,,making it hard for the oil to build it back up

tims auto repair :

you can buy an additive at your local parts store to add to the oil,,that will clean the lifters and let them build back up

tims auto repair :

we,,here at my shop...

tims auto repair :

use automatic transmission fluid for this

tims auto repair :

atf is high in detergent and works well to clean lifters

tims auto repair :

we add about 1/2 quart of atf to the oil,,,and just drive...the lifters will quieten in a day or so

tims auto repair :