Neal
Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.
17294534

2003 pt cruiser turbo: fixing..tune of 5..mechanics..used one for 1100

I own a 2003 pt cruiser turbo 5 speed
I love this car
But due to financial circumstances I ended up fixing it up starting two years ago rather than buying a new car
Now I may be sorry I did that
It has about 148'000 miles on it
I think I have slowly replaced I everything in it
Probably to the tune of 5,000 dollars at least
Now I bring it inane there is a glitch in the clutch plate system
It's actually in the transmission system
Clutchlate been replaced already
But mechanics says it would be easier to just replace the transmission
He can find a used one for 1100 and his labor is 350
I had said once I got to engine work I would close it upand let it go
But my question now is
Am I being foolish ie more foolish to not do this
I have spent so much money already
It has almost become a restoration
Should I just do it because everything else is practically done anyway
Thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

Hello I'm Neal and I am here to help resolve your issue. If I cannot help I will opt out and refer your question to another expert.

-

Is everything else done and there are definately no issues with anything else?

-

What do you plan to do with it? Keep it or sell it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Everything seems to be done.
I plan to keep it.
It's not worth selling
Blue book is about 1800
I just talked to my mechanic
And he has been investigating it too
Gotta love you guys when ther is a puzzle
He wants to try some kind of arm that works with a throw out bearing first before he puts the transmission back in
H says he should know somthing more by then
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
I'm glad he is digging deeper and I hope that is all it is!!!! After all the work you have done I would say to finish it so you can get some good use out of it. I think you are all in and should stick with it. You are going to have a almost new car, and despite book value, you will get a lot more than $1800 worth of use out of it.
Neal, Mechanic
Experience: Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.