Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

Recently, my car suddenly stopped running..enough power..parking lot

Recently, my car suddenly stopped running while I was driving. It didn't stop entirely, though, there was just enough power for me to turn into a nearby parking lot. The engine and reduced engine power lights were both on. I waited a few minutes and then turned the car back on. This time only the check engine light was on and I was able to drive home (about a mile). I had to travel for work so I wasn't able to touch my car for a week. However, when I turned my car on today, the engine light was no longer on. What do you think is the problem?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok is the vehicle still running rough?Has the charging system been checked?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I haven't attempted to drive my car, so I don't know how it's running. Nothing on the vehicle has been checked yet.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok how does it run at idle and in gear ?Could be fuel related or a problem with the charging system.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It seems to run about the same as always. Whenever I start the car it makes a funny sound (like a high-pitched whine) that lasts a few minutes then goes away. It did the same thing today.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok most likely that whine is coming from the alternator .I would have the charging system checked next this can be the entire issue and the problems you are having.The whine can be the internal bearing in the alternator starting to fail.I would start here if the engine light is not on.This is the next step.If you need any further assistance please let me know.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So are you saying that the whine and the engine light issue are unrelated?
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
No they would be related .If the alternator is the failing it will also cause the engine light to come on.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is the car safe to drive if the engine light is off or should I have it towed?
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
If the engine light is off its ok to drive but if its running sluggish and misfiring have it towed.Also make sure they check the exhaust for any restrictions.These are the next steps.Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.