Dad Mechanic
Dad Mechanic, Mechanic
Experience:  I have worked on everyting from Model Ts to 2012 Autos,
65581030

driver seat in my 1989 911 cab will not stay up...jumped..half way

Customer Question

The driver seat in my 1989 911 cab will not stay up. My son jumped in without using the door and you could hear the seat back rachet down. Now it just flops and will only go half way up!
Category: Car
Expert:  Dad Mechanic replied 4 years ago.

Dad Mechanic :

Sorry for your problem. I am here to try and assist you.No to be a wise guy But you son nees to get a job so he can pay the dealer to repair your seat. Now that being said. I assume it is not a power reclining seat. You will need to remove the lever and the side panel to view the recline mechinism look at this to find out what parts are broke you will need to order new one, usually there are no reparable parts in here.

JACUSTOMER-a2e7p5ry- :

It is a power reclining seat - RECARDO Keiper # 87383798 12. Are you telling me that it can only be repaired by a dealer?

Dad Mechanic :

No It can be repaired by you or your mechanic. But i am quit sure that you are going to find broken parts when you dissasemble. The ratching noise that you are hearing sounds like stripped gears in the motor or gear box, may be hard to get, may be the same as a vw (cheeper). Jim