Redram5.9
Redram5.9, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Certified in Brakes, Electronics, Manual Drive Train & Axles, Engine Performance, Compressed Natural Gas
67376156

1999 sebring: hood has code p1391 and stalls..brake light..pcm

Customer Question

1999 sebring positive bat terminal was hitting hood has code p1391 and stalls when warm service soon light goes on and of also bat and brake light flicker does not run now think pcm got shorted out
Category: Car
Expert:  Redram5.9 replied 2 years ago.

Redram5.9 : Hi, my name is Bernard, welcome to JustAnswer. Does the battery light and brake light flicker when the engine is warm or does the temp matter?
Customer :

when warm doesnt run now

Customer :

car stalls

Redram5.9 : Ok good. First, that means you are on the right track. Electrical problems can be intermittent due to heat. P1391 can be a crank or cam sensor problem. Do you have the 2.5V6?
Customer :

yes 2.5 v6 changed dist and crank sensor

Redram5.9 : Only things left are the wiring from the sensors to the PCM and the PCM itself. Give me a few moments to look up the wiring diagrams.
Redram5.9 : Be ready to measure the pulses from the cam and crank sensors when the problem begins. The sensor common ground wire (black/light blue) is on pin 43 of the pcm. You would put a voltmeter between that wire and either pin 33 (tan/yellow, cam sensor located in the distributor) or pin 32 (gray/black, crank sensor) to watch the signal pulses. If you carry a socket and handle to turn the crank by hand at the pulley bolt, and you put the ignition in the 'run' position, then having pins through the insulation to contact the wires, you can attach the voltmeter leads to the pins. As you turn the engine by hand, the reading should pulse between 5 and 0.3V (many times per revolution for the crank, just a few for the cam sensor). So ideally you catch one of those sensors not pulsing as described when the engine is not running well. You could also pre-check the wiring on those three lines, and there is a common 8v wire coming from pin 44 on an orange wire to the sensors (pin 2 of the 6 pin plug at the distributor, at the crank sensor plug) which you might also want to check when you are doing the sensor signal pulse check as it is possible that if that supply voltage were flaky then both sensors would have bad pulses (which is implied, sort of, by the 1391).
Customer :

thanks will check

Redram5.9 : Your welcome. Let me know what you find.
Customer :

i will

Expert:  Redram5.9 replied 2 years ago.
*
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
crank and cam have no 8v reference voltage
Expert:  Redram5.9 replied 2 years ago.
Crank Sensor
1. The orange/white wire at the distributor should get 8 volts.
2. The gray/black wire should fluctuate with cranking.
3. The black/light blue will be ground.
Distributor
1. Black/light blue is ground.
2. Orange is 8v reference.
3. Tan/yellow should fluctuate with cranking.

If you are not getting 8v at those two wires, then measure the voltage from pin 44 of the PCM of connector 1. If you get 8v, there is a broken wire between the PCM and the sensors, if not, then replace the computer.