Dad Mechanic
Dad Mechanic, Mechanic
Experience:  I have worked on everyting from Model Ts to 2012 Autos,
65581030

electrical connections (black & white wires) to my cars fuse box

Customer Question

how do I wire the electrical connections (black & white wires) to my cars fuse box
Category: Car
Expert:  Dad Mechanic replied 2 years ago.

Dad Mechanic :

Sorry for your problem. I am here to try and assist you.I need to ask you what you are wireing something after market? Or are you trying to reconnect something? Jim

Customer:

a backup camera and monitor

Customer:

aftermarket

Dad Mechanic :

Ok do you have the wireing schmatic for the camera?

Customer:

it's one video rca plug for video and a two wire electrical hookup

Customer:

red wire and black

Dad Mechanic :

does you wire schmatic say which is positive and which is negitive I don't want to have you hook them up wrong!

Customer:

there is apositive sticker on red

Customer:

still there?

Dad Mechanic :

ok, black wire is the ground this can be hooked to any metal serface that is convient for you, the red is going to go to the fuse panel. to find the proper place to hook up the red wire. you will need a mulimeter or a test light. there will be open connections in your fuse panel. you will only want the one that is hot ( has power in it when the key is turned on ) . Now you need to make a choise if you want to have the camera work when the key is in accesory and when the car is running or just when the car is running..

Dad Mechanic :

which do you have test light or meter?

Customer:

unfortunately neither

Dad Mechanic :

well you should have sonething to test terminals? where do you live?

Customer:

los angeles

Customer:

i will get one at auto supply

Dad Mechanic :

so you are close to auto parts store. yes good idea.

Dad Mechanic :

so far have you understood my instructions?

Customer:

yes

Dad Mechanic :

or now check the open connections in the fuse block for the proper one for your choise. I don't know the exact configuration of your fuse block sometimes the cover will tell you what the open slots are for some time you will have to find the proper one your self

Dad Mechanic :

you may have to buy some wire connectors at the auto parts store also. does the red wire have a inline fuse in it?

Dad Mechanic :

Your origanal quest refered to a black and white wire is there a white wire?

Dad Mechanic :

Are you still here?

Dad Mechanic :

I have to help anothe customer I'll be back when you get back to me!

Customer:

please leave the rest of the instructions so I can accept your answer

Dad Mechanic :

Ok we covered the black wire before,you may hook any where there is a metal ground. The red wire to the fuse box. I was going to ask you to send me a close up photo if possible of your fuse box so I could give you a more detaled answer. I don't know which you have purchased a test light or a multmeter. multimeter set to 20 volts DC, black wire on any metal ground, aligator clip on the test light to ground. Red lead on the meter, pointer on test light. now you are ready to test for power in the fuse box. there should be some open theminals in the fuse box. Turn the key to the run position, now the pointer to, red wire meter to each open space in the fuse box when the light lights or the meter showes 12 volts turn the key off. if the light,power goes outt droppes to 0 this is the terminal. if not repete on another terminal until you find one. besure you have an inline fuse in your red wire. probably you will need to get a female spade connector to add to the red wire and slide this into the open terminal in the fuse block now you shoud be done with your connection. as before that I asked did you misspeak about the white wire if youu have a white we will need to relook at the instructions i have given! Thanks for using Just Answers. Get back too me with more questions if you have any. Jim

Customer:

thank you

Dad Mechanic, Mechanic
Experience: I have worked on everyting from Model Ts to 2012 Autos,
If you have any question or trouble get in touch with me and I will assist you. Jim
Hi!
I hope I have helped to resolve your problem. I am checkin to see if I can assist with any thing else today, or clarify my answer to you.
Thanks for using Just Answers.
Dads Mechanic.
Jim