hauto
hauto, Technician
Experience:  15 year hands on technician experince, associate degree in automotive technologhy
24868125

2003 Aerio SX: loud tapping sound from under the hood..lifter..litre

Just noticed today a loud tapping sound from under the hood on my 2003 Aerio SX. Sounds like a valve or lifter maybe. Checked the oil and I was down about a litre. topped it up but the tapping sound is still there but it doesn't seem as loud as before. 260,000 km so I know she is going to have some problems. Any other posibilities that could cause a metalic tapping sound?

Thanks for using JA

The injectors make a ticking or click sound, that is normal. in your case you'll need to keep an eye on the oil level and see if you have a leak or a burning issue so the level don't go down to any lower.

it's normal for some valve train noise( ticking) it may go away once driven and oil fill is were it needs to.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It did go away after top up of oil. Had my mechanic use an Engine flush and Lucas engine adative with the last oil change I received and I will keep an eye on the oil level. Have not heard it since.

great news, thanks for the reply