Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

Three of my four windows stopped working..drivers side window

Customer Question

Good morning. Three of my four windows stopped working abruptly yesterday. The drivers side window will work, the others are stuck part up.
Thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Ok, either the master window switch(which supplies power to the other window switches) is bad, or there is a break in the wiring harness on the 3 separate power feed wires to the other windows, which is less likely as they share the same harness loom as the power feed wire for the main switch, which we know has power since the driver's window works.

It is a 99% certainty that the driver's side main window switch is failing, but to verify, check for power on colored wires I have highlighted when pressing the down and up buttons on the main switch. If power on those wires at the main switch, then there is a break in the wiring, if no power, then as I suspect, the main switch is bad

graphic

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please click the ACCEPT BUTTON to complete transaction or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to click the accept button, however you are not charged again. Thank you
.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

graphic
View Full Image

.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask for more help, otherwise please click the accept button and/or smiley face to pay for services rendered per customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and expert is not paid for their time, knowledge or services until you do so..

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please click the ACCEPT BUTTON and/or SMILEY FACE to complete transaction or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to click the accept button, however you are not charged again. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is it a hard to change?
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

you have to pull the door trim panel to replace it:

1. Remove inside handle bezel.
  2. Remove door mirror bezel (if equipped).
  3. Remove inside lock knob and door inside pull handle case fitting screw.
  4. Remove door trim.
  5. With inside handle bezel tilted, turn door trim 90 ° counterclockwise to remove it. And disconnect power window switch lead wire at coupler (if equipped).
  6. Remove window switch.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Does the window switch just plug in? or do I need any specific tools.

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

once you have the door panel off, you will see a couple of screws holding the switch to the door panel. remove those, and then disconnect the harness connector from the switch. there is a tab on the connector to push in as you pull off the connector from the switch. no special tools needed
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank-you very much. Have a good day.

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

you are welcome and have a great weekend