Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

1996 suzuki sidekick: 1.8L, 4x4, a/ runs fine

Customer Question

Issued turned out to be the timing setting on the DOHC adjustment.

Have 1996 suzuki sidekick, 1.8L, 4x4, a/c, manual trans. Vehicle sputters or feels like a miss fire at idle and driving speeds, except constent highway speeeds where it runs fine. This has been occuring for a couple years with no error codes given. I have changed: spark plugs fuel injectors fuel filter. air cleaner Battery Last year it gave a cylinder 1 misfire detect code, so I swapped the spark plug and coil pack to cylinder 2. in a few weeks the error code changed to cylinder 2. I replaced the plug and the coil pack on this cylinder, hoping I solved the problem. However, the issue remained. I didnot change the other coil pack Lately the issue has gotten worse. still no error code, check the map sensor and TPS by running voltage test with a vaccum test where applicable. Both tested fine. Not sure what its called (3" round component, appears to replace the distributor, but is located on rear driverside cam) but I messed with the timing settings by turing this item on the DOHC and set it based on my ear as I do not have a timing light to adjust the timing in this car. It does not have the normal spark plug wires like I am use to. I think I may have advanced the timing as it has better power and response, yet the sputtering got worse. I have many tools such as: regular timing light, compression tester (which has good compression in all cylinders) and voltage testers. Any suggestions Thanks Terry

Category: Car
Expert:  Michelle-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!