internal88
internal88, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  I've been working with automotive industry for almost 20 years. I also have an engineering background. Saving one car at a time.

2004 Isuzu Rodeo: Fuel Pump..Dealers Service Department

I have a 2004 Isuzu Rodeo with a 3.5V-6 motor. It aparently needs a Fuel Pump. It is at the Dealers Service Department and they want $2,100 to do the Job. The Service Manager said that the vehicle has 2 fuel pumps, one inside the tank and one at the back of the motor. He said the one that is out is the one at the back of the motor. The problem I am having is locating one. Is it called the fuel pump or is it something different.All of the parts places have the in tank one but they don`t seem to know wghat i`m talking about with a Second fuel filter.
Category: Car
Expert:  internal88 replied 2 years ago.

Customer:

HI and welcome to justanswer. I know exactly what you are talking about.

Customer:

It is the high pressure fuel pump assembly. It is located on the engine.

Customer :

Yes thats what they said

Customer:

It is located in the cylinder head.

Customer:

This is the part #(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Customer :

Why am I having such a hard time finding one

Customer:

Sorry wrong part number.

Customer:

I'm going to send you some pictures.

Customer :

ok

Customer :

do you know the right part # ?

Customer:

Hold on

internal88, Auto Mechanic
Experience: I've been working with automotive industry for almost 20 years. I also have an engineering background. Saving one car at a time.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
graphic
  1. Remove Fuel filler cap (1).
  2. Drain radiator coolant.
  3. Remove common chamber.
    • Refer to removal procedure for Common Chamber.
  1. Remove fuel rail joint pipe.
  2. Disconnect connector of fuel pressure sensor, injector and knock sensor.
  3. Disconnect harness clip and fixing bolt.
  4. Remove heater pipe.
  5. Remove high pressure fuel pump protect plate.
  6. Disconnect fuel tube of high pressure fuel pump inlet.
  7. Remove fuel pipe of high pressure fuel pump from fuel rail.
  8. Remove two bolts from high Pressure Fuel Pump rear side. Remove high pressure fuel pump assembly and disconnect connector.

INSTALLATION

1. Install high pressure fuel pump assembly and connect connector.
    • Install two bolts for high Pressure Fuel Pump.

Torque: 25 Nm (18.4 lb ft)

1. Install fuel pipe of high pressure fuel pump from fuel rail. Torque: 10 Nm (7.4 lb ft)
  2. Connect fuel tube of high pressure fuel pump inlet.
  3. Install high pressure fuel pump protect plate.
  4. Install heater pipe. Torque: 20 Nm (14.8 lb ft)
  5. Connect harness clip and fixing bolt. Torque: 9 Nm (5.9 lb ft)
  6. Connect connector of fuel pressure sensor, injector and knock sensor.
  7. Install fuel rail joint pipe. Torque: 10 Nm (7.4 lb ft)
  8. Install common chamber.
    • Refer to installation procedure for Common Chamber.
graphic

This is what I have for you.

Please ACCEPT my Answer if I have helped you. This is how I get credit for my time researching your question. A BONUS is greatly appreciated! I will still help you after the acceptance.

graphicgraphicgraphic

I've placed the pictures on top.

REMOVAL

CAUTION: Before removing the fuel injectors, be absolutely sure to eliminate the fuel pressure in the fuel rail. To do this, remove the pump relay and start the engine. Wait for the engine to stall.

When repair to the fuel system has been completed, start engine and check the fuel system for loose connection or leakage.

1. Disconnect battery ground cable.

1. Remove fuel filler cap (1).
  2. Remove cylinder head cover RH.
    • Refer to removal procedure for Cylinder Head Cover RH.

1. Remove high pressure fuel pump drive gear.
  2. Remove cylinder head assembly.
    • Refer to removal procedure for Cylinder Head.
  1. Remove two bolts from high Pressure Fuel Pump and remove high pressure fuel pump assembly.
  2. Remove fuel pump driven gear and driven gear bearing using J-23907.
  1. Remove fuel pump driven gear using J-23907 and sliding hammer.
  2. Remove driven gear bearing using J-23907 and sliding hammer.

INSTALLATION

1. Use the special tool (J-39378) and a hammer to force the driven gear bearing on to the fuel pump driven gear.
  2. Install fuel pump driven gear and bearing.

1. Set the fuel pump driven gear and driven gear bearing assembly to the special tool (J-46921).

1. Install the fuel pump driven gear, driven gear bearing, and special tool (J-46921) assembly to the cylinder head. Tighten the outside bolts (1) shown in the illustration.
  2. Slowly tighten the center bolt (3) to press the fuel pump driven gear and driven gear bearing assembly into place. Be absolutely sure that the driven gear and the drive gear are correctly meshed.
  3. Loosen the 2 outside bolts to remove the special tool.
  1. Install high pressure fuel pump assembly. Torque: 25 Nm (18.4 lb ft) NOTE: Do not reuse packing.
  2. Install cylinder head assembly.
    • Refer to Installation procedure for Cylinder Head.