Mike, Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I have been a Car/vehicle mechanic 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

Hi, I have a 2007 fiat ducatto 160 multi-jet 3.0l turbo diesel van.

Hi, I have a 2007 Fiat Ducatto 160 multi-jet 3.0l turbo diesel van. From cold it starts first time and runs beautifully and very cleanly but when it is warm it is a nightmare to start. It coughs but doesn't get going. After many tries keeping the starter engaged when it fires it gets going but the injection warning light comes on which after a while resets itself. We've scanned the computor using a generic scanner and no faults show up. Slowly it seems to be getting worse. Any suggestions?

David.
Category: Car
Expert:  Reecekerley replied 2 years ago.

Reecekerley :

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer:

Yes, I am still waiting for an answer.

Expert:  Dad Mechanic replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for your problem. I am here to try and assist you.I'm not familiar with your vehicle. but no one has jumped in so I'll ask you a question. does your vehicle have a cold start valve or cold start sensors? sound like a sensor or solenoid not working properly. If I'm not in the ball park here ill opt out so another expert to try to help you. Jim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jim,
I'm not sure if it does have a cold start valve or sensor but I imagine that as a modern common rail computor controlled diesel it would have the sensor. Do you think that this is staying in place when it is warm. I emphasise that once running it runs very sweetly with no black smoke and returns excellent mpg.
David.
I think it may be something to do with cold start. It should through a code if you have o2 sensors in the exhaust it should show a rich setting but you may not have this on your year and model.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Whilst I think Jim tried his answer has not helped because I don't believe he is familiar enough with my vehicle to offer a solution to the problem
I will opt out for another expert. good luck with your problem. I looked in a number of parts e-catalog's and didn't find any cold start vales or solenoids. Tanks for using Just Answers.Jim
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this -

Ok- you have the F1CE0481D engine in your vehicle - and given the symptoms you outline, this could be as simple as a crank sensor or Ect ( engine temp sensor ) fault. Both are common issues / faults on this engine....without fault codes, its hard to say exactly which is the issue if any at the moment.

As the injection light (fault) light comes on, that will mean the Ecu has logged fault codes - but - you need to be testing for the fault codes , while the light is on. Once its off, the codes are gone.

Other issues that you can have that can and will cause such faults are faults with the fuel pump or one or more of the injectors. If one injector for example is faulty it causes a pressure drop in the system so the Ecu wont let the engine start.

You could try changing the ECT sensor , they are not expensive - You would need to get one from a local Fiat dealer parts dept - and they will tell you where it is on the engine if you are not sure. It would be a good move at present as mentioned, its a common issue and that could just be it.

If not though , then I have to strongly advise to have either a garage with the proper equipment on it to test it or, better still a dealer or a diesel specialist - who has the correct equipment to check the live data - fuel system / pressure and so on. There is only so much you can do on your own with these modern systems as you probably know, and the above as I have mentioned is about it...

So work through as above and one way or the other , you will get this sorted out for sure.

Im very pleased to have helped you - Let me know if I can help anymore...

Meantime >>> Please click the "Accept button" for me Now - Thank You ...

Please note , you need to press the Accept button even if you are a subscriber to justanswer - thank you again.

Kind Rgds - MIKE

Mike, Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I have been a Car/vehicle mechanic 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.