internal88
internal88, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  I've been working with automotive industry for almost 20 years. I also have an engineering background. Saving one car at a time.
63512786

Oop, I meant to say 1998, NOT 1988.

Customer Question

Oop, I meant to say 1998, NOT 1988.
Category: Car
Expert:  internal88 replied 2 years ago.

internal88 :

What is wrong with the Vitara?

internal88 :

Welcome to Justanswer

Customer :

It won't idle fast enough, but it doesn't misfire. The mixture is wrong. It has the wrong smell. My mechanic swapped this sensor with another one and solved the problem, I think. When he made the swap, the tailpipe gases changed from no pass to pass. I can't find one in Costa Rica, but will be in Dallas Monday and return Friday. The engine is a G16A. Setting the idle faster doesn't solve the problem. I grew up in the age of carburators and am over my head.

internal88 :

Where is the engine idling now? 750 rpm?

Customer :

It idles at 750 rpm with a used sensor and when it is cold, but it idles at around 200 when it is warm, that is, until it dies. Where can I find this sensor? Do you think there is another problem?

internal88 :

Any check engine light on?

Customer :

Yes, there is a yellow engine check light.

internal88 :

Did you hook it up to a OBD scanner?

internal88 :

What code did you get?

Customer :

I don't know what an ODB scanner is. There are very strict emission standards here in Costa Rica, The national company that checks gas emission failed the car, and I did not get the sticker. The mechanic swapped it out with one from another car, and the car passed. I got the sticker.

internal88 :

Yes, in new york city also have strict emission.

internal88 :

Ok... Let me know explain.

internal88 :

Your car has an emission problem that is caused by a sensor or several sensors.

internal88 :

In order for us to change the correct part without wasting time is to plug in a scanner.

internal88 :

The scanner will tell you where exactly the fault is located.

internal88 :

In your situation, there are several sensors that control the idle speed.

internal88 :

Idle control valve, air flow meter, throttle position sensor, vacuum leak and map sensor.

Customer :

This is Costa Rica. Finding a scanner before I leave is impossible. I am willing to gamble, and am ready to buy the part. I can't find it on the web. When I return, if I can find it, I'll take to and the car to the mechanic. I am an engineer and I think that the mechanic is a very bright guy. There is no one with a scanner within two hours of my little town.

internal88 :

Oh I see

internal88 :

Ok... I'm going to give you procedure to test the sensors

Customer :

Presumably, the mechanic, Dixon, has done just that. When I am in Dallas, I think I can find the sensor, if I knew what it was. I don't know it's name. Swapping sensors may not be the best way to solve the problem, but I think it worked. I am willing to waste the money if it isn't the answer.

internal88 :

Did you see the sensor he swapped?

internal88 :

I think you mechanic might have changed the map senor.

Customer :

No, he put the old one back in. The one that worked, he put back in the other car. I have a hunch it is a MAP sensor. The mechanic calls it a sensor de oxygen. He doesn't speak English. I speak Spanish. The number of the one on my car, for the G16A engine is PBT-GF 30. It might be the wrong one, it's likely it is the right one

internal88 :

Full Size Image

internal88 :

I think the mechanic is saying the oxygen sensor.

internal88 :

There are two oxygen sensors installed in your car.

internal88 :

Full Size Image

internal88 :

Full Size Image

internal88 :

Heated Oxygen Sensor-1 (HO2S-1)
The oxygen sensor is installed on the exhaust manifold to detect the concentration of oxygen in the exhaust gases. The oxygen sensor heater promotes activation of the oxygen sensor.

internal88 :

Heated Oxygen Sensor-2 (HO2S-2)
The oxygen sensor is installed on the rear side of TWC to detect the concentration of oxygen in the exhaust gases just like HO2S-1.
ECM judges deterioration of TWO by comparing waveforms of the output voltage from HO2S-1 and HO2S-2.

internal88 :

Please ACCEPT my Answer if I have helped you. This is how I get credit for my time researching your question. A BONUS is greatly appreciated! I will still help you after you accepted.

Customer :

It is not on the manifold. I don't recognize the second picture. The piece he swapped out and told me was defective is between the air filter and the intake tube, and is big and bulky and has a screen and a piece of wire inside. This is what he wants to replace. I do understand what you mean by comparing wave forms. Dixon could be wrong. As I am going to Dallas Saturday, I am willing to gamble. I am not an expert. Should I also buy those two sensors. Is there a number for the MAP sensor. Can I buy it (or all of them) through the internet. I know I can have them sent to a friend in Dallas.

internal88 :

OK it is the air flow meter.

internal88 :

If he swap out the air flow meter it works then it the air flow meter problem.

internal88 :

The circuit board inside is shorted.

internal88 :

Full Size Image

internal88 :

Full Size Image

internal88 :

This is the MAF sensor

internal88 :

This is the part number 1380058B00

internal88 :

A new one cost $1072. Maybe you can get a remanufactured one that is cheaper.

Customer :

The price is likely to be the reason he has not found one for me. I think he is looking for a remanufactured one and can't find it. Do you know where I can find a cheaper one on the internet or a store in Dallas? In any event, I'll pay you after your reply. Thanks.

Customer :

One that is remanufactured.

internal88 :

I know Autozone and Advance auto sell it.

internal88 :

The name of the manufactures can be Cardone or Blue streak electronic.

internal88 :

Both company are from USA.

internal88 :

Autzone, Advance, O'relily or Napa - These stores will have it. Give them a call first, most likely they will need to order it.

internal88 :

Full Size Image

internal88 :

$240 from autozone - you can also order it online.

internal88 :

Go to Autozone.com

Customer :

You're a winner. Thanks, so much.

internal88 :

internal88 : Hi, it looks like I have helped you out. Please accept my answer so I get credit for my time. Than you sir.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Your acceptance did not go through. Can you please accept because I did spend my research time on your issue. Thank you.
How is the car? If I have help you out pLease accept my answer, thanks.
Can you Please ACCEPT my Answer if I have helped you. This is how I get credit for my time researching your question. Thank you!