Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
7183013

98 Isuzu Rodeo: rusted..me killed today when it cracked in half

I have a '98 Isuzu Rodeo with 116k and a rusted-out frame that almost got me killed today when it cracked in half. I see on a car forum there are lots of identical complaints and one with the exact problem at the exact milage. Is there any chance of getting Isuzu to acknowledge their responsibility? thanks.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ted G. replied 2 years ago.
There is a recall on those for rust, but at that age I'm not sure what they'll do for you, here is the recall info, it might be worth towing it to the dealer and see what they offer:

Dear Customer,
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. Isuzu Motors Limited has decided that defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain model year (MY) 1998-2002 Rodeo vehicle and certain MY 2002 Axiom vehicles originally or currently registered in the following states ( the “Salt Belt”): Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, the District of Columbia, West Virginia, Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, and Missouri. According to our records, your vehicle has not yet received the remedy for this defect. Therefore, we urge you to bring your vehicle to one of our service facilities for an inspection and an appropriate repair.

WHAT IS THE CONDITION?
Certain Isuzu vehicles that have experienced sustained exposure to highly corrosive materials used in some jurisdictions for road deicing purposes may experience excessive corrosion in the vicinity of the forward mounting point bracket for the left or right rear suspension lower link prior to the time that such corrosion would normally be expected. In certain extreme cases, excessive corrosion in this vicinity may result in a lower bracket becoming detached from the frame, which can affect vehicle handling and potentially cause a crash.
WHAT WE WILL DO
An Isuzu service facility will inspect the left and right forward mounting point bracket areas of the rear suspension lower link of your vehicle to determine if corrosion is present in those areas. For vehicles in which little or no corrosion is observed in those areas. The service facility will treat the areas with an anti-corrosive compound to reduce the likelihood of additional corrosion in those areas in the future. In the relatively rare case in which corrosion has damaged the area around either or both of the forward mounting point brackets of the rear suspension lower link and affected their connection of the vehicle’s frame, one of two different types of reinforcement brackets will be installed, depending upon the extent of the corrosion. In the unlikely event that the reinforcement bracket remedy would not be effected, Isuzu will provide an alternate remedy. This service will be performed for you at no charge, subject to the limitations set out in the following paragraph.

Please note that because your vehicle was originally purchased more than ten (10) years before September 22,2010, which is the date on which Isuzu advised the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration of recall, Isuzu is not required to provide a remedy at no charge. However, as a courtesy, if you present your vehicle to an Isuzu service facility no later than twelve (12) months from the date of the first owner notification letter, which was mailed on December 13th, 2010, Isuzu will voluntarily provide this remedy at no charge. If you wish to obtain the remedy after the expiration of this one-year period, you will need to pay for necessary parts and labor. The current Manufacturer’s Suggested Retain Price (“MSRP”) of the anti-corrosion compound is between approximately $27.00 and approximately $54.00, depending on how many cans of the compound are required. However, if your vehicle requires reinforcement brackets, the MSRP of the bracket kits plus the required anti-corrosion compound is currently approximately $210.00 or approximately $407.00, depending on which type of bracket is required. Labor charges will be in addition to the cost of the required parts.
For the majority of vehicles, the inspection and the application of the anti-corrosion compound will be all that is necessary, and that work will take approximately ninety minutes. If, however, the corrosion in the area(s) specified above is so extensive that it is necessary to install new reinforcement brackets, the repairs will take approximately three (3) hours to ten (10) hours, depending on which type of bracket is used. Of course, depending upon the service facilities’ work schedule and/or the need to have the necessary parts delivered to the service facility, it may be necessary for you to make your vehicle available for a longer period of time.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO
Please call the Isuzu Special Assistance Center at 1-877-460-0706 or visit our website at www.isuzu.com to identify the Isuzu service facility that is closest to you. Then, you should contact the service facility to arrange an appointment to bring your vehicle in to have the inspection and the remedy work performed. Please present this letter to Safety Recall # XXXXX If your vehicle is not drivable due to the conditions noted in this letter, please call the Isuzu Special Assistance Center at 1-877-460-0706 so we can arrange to have the vehicle transported to an Isuzu service facility to be inspected and to receive appropriate remedy. That transportation will be provided at no charge.

REIMBURSEMENT
If have already paid for repairs to address the condition covered by this recall, you may be eligible to have those costs reimbursed. The enclosed form explains the terms under which reimbursement may be available and how to request reimbursement. Among other things, you will need to provide the original paid receipt or invoice verifying the repair and the costs of the repair.
If you have any questions regarding this matter you can visit our website at www.iszuz.com or contact our Special Assistance Center at 1-877-460-0706.

If you have any problems obtaining the needed repair or believe that this repair has not been made within a reasonable time, you may contact:
National Owner Relations Department
Isuzu Motors America, LLC
1400 South Douglass Road
Suite 100 Anaheim, CA 92806
If you still are not satisfied, you may submit a complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, S.E., Washington, D.C. 20590, or call the toll-free Vehicle safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); or go to http://www.safercar.gov.
If you are a vehicle lessor, Federal law requires that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within ten (10) days.
We regret any inconvenience that this action may cause you.
Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX AMERICA,LLC
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness