internal88, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  I've been working with automotive industry for almost 20 years. I also have an engineering background. Saving one car at a time.

oil pressure readout goes up and down and to 0

Category: Car
Expert:  internal88 replied 4 years ago.

If your oil level is good and put the correct oil 10W-30 in the engine. The problem would be in the oil pressure sender. The sender is located RH side of engine under Power steering pump.

1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
  2. Disconnect the electrical connector from the oil pressure switch.
  3. Remove the oil pressure switch.

NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

1. Install the oil pressure switch. Tighten Tighten the engine oil pressure switch to 10 N.m (89 lb in) .
  2. Connect the electrical connector to the oil pressure switch.
  3. Lower the vehicle
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sender has been replaced already..forgot to include that.
Now I need you Test the oil pressure from the sender port with a mechanical oil pressure gauge and confirm whether there is a problem...

Now if you get the oe specification psi then we know it is the gauge problem on the dash.

If the problem still persist then you have another problem. Try that first and report back.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
car in'd w/mechanic..psi good..veh also hesitates real bad when this happens..has mechanic baffled
I would suggest you to change to a different oil filter. Try delco or purlalotar. Sometime the bypass valve gets stuck.
If problem persists you might have a main bearing problem and that will be expensive.