Brogs70, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20+ years as a Technician, Service Manager and Proprietor

way toget a frozen up compressor on an airconditioner to free up

Customer Question

I would like to know a way toget a frozen up compressor on an airconditioner to free up?
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.

Steve :

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question

Steve :

You cannot unfreeze a compressor. You could remove the a/c compressor and put a smaller belt on to resolve your concern.

Steve :

Once the a/c freezes up it will never turn again.

Expert:  Brogs70 replied 4 years ago.

Hi Im Scott

Once the Compressor has seized and locked up like you say yours has it is not possible to free them up as usually this is as a result of an internal failure not physically allowing the compressor to turn.

You have not mentioned which make and model of vehicle you have, some systems run what is known as a serpentine belt which I am guessing your is. If this is the case it is possible to purchase a shorter belt which will allow you to bypass the A/C compressor.

If your system has a separate A/C belt then its as easy as removing the belt.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry Steve, I failed to mention that I am referring to a home central heating and air conditioning unit. But thanks for trying any way. Please referr this to a home improvment expert. Thanks