Neal
Neal, Mechanic
Experience:  Auto repair pro and Mechanic on multiple makes.
17294534

Metro: My 1996..miles per gallon..hybrid) that achieves the same mpg

My 1996 Geo Metro gets 42 miles per gallon (it used to get 45.) Why can't I buy a contemporary gas vehicle (not hybrid) that achieves the same MPG?
Category: Car
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

I know it doesn't make sense, so please don't shhoot the messenger, but EPA requirements and poor fuel quality are to blame, ethanol that is in fuel now is les effecient and it takes twice as much ethanol to produce the same energy as the same amount of gas.

That is likely why you have seen a decrease in your mileage on your metro. Other epa requirements and standards for clean emissions also contribute to this along with cars being heavier due to safety requirements.

A new Honda can get 36mpg witha heavier car and more power than your metro has.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry Neal, but I don't buy your answer. To start with, my question was not about why my Geo doesn't get the same gas mileage it once did. I chalk up the slight decline more to the age of my vehicle, than I do to EPA ethanol requirements. I bought the vehicle in 2003. Fuel make-up has not changed much in that time.
Your answer is essentially - blame the government. That is a piss pour response. The government does not make the vehicles. Detroit's marketing practices have been largely responsible for fueling the demand in the USA for inefficient cars. My question to you was why Detroit refuses to produce cars for the domestic market that are equivalent to what is produced overseas - Ford Fiesta Econetic for example.
I asked for your professional opinion as to why we can't purchase fuel efficient cars in this country. What I got back was political hogwash. I suggest you do better in the future.