Nate, ASE Master Certified
Experience:  ASE Master Certified in all areas of Automotive Service
34975145

engine that i need to set timing after replacing a blown head gasket

Customer Question

I have a daihatsu ef-cs 659cc engine that i need to set timing after replacing a blown head gasket
Category: Car
Expert:  Michelle-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have never recieved my answer yet still waiting
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am still waiting on my response

Sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Are experts helpinr with my initial question which is how and where to locate timing marks on a daihatsu ef-cs 659cc engine and how to alighn
Expert:  Nate replied 4 years ago.
Hi, My name is Nate
I will do my best to answer your question as quickly as i can with the information you have provided. Thanks for visiting JA!

The timing for this model is pretty straight forward. Now I'm assuming that the timing covers and the crank pulley are off.

on the crankshaft timing belt pulley there is a dot on the edge next to one of the teeth, this mark lines up with a notch on the lower timing case the position of which is roughly 4o'clock,

the camshaft also has a dot next to one of the teeth, this lines up with a notch on the upper timing case at roughly 3o'clock,

once the pulleys are lined up fit the belt and apply tension, rotate the engine a few times by hand and check the marks still line up, check the belt tension again, and that should do it for you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have found the notch on cam shaft at 3 oclock the notch on crank shaft looks more like 5 oclock when they are in line the engine will not roll over The cam feels like it is in the process of opening the valves and you have to hold it at notch or will roll over to around 5 oclock
Expert:  Nate replied 4 years ago.
you may have the camshaft 180 degree off. Both intake and exhaust valves should be shut when the cam is aligned properly.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
will try this this afternoon may have more questions
Expert:  Nate replied 4 years ago.
Sounds good. Let me know how it works out.