internal88
internal88, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  I've been working with automotive industry for almost 20 years. I also have an engineering background. Saving one car at a time.

Parked..car, running fine..15 min later started the car..exhaust..lite

Customer Question

2003 530 i Parked the car, running fine. 15 min later started the car... idled terrible, no power, blew a big white cloud (oil) of smoke out the exhaust and threw the sis lite. P1345, P0174, P0171 and P1085. What's up?
Category: Car
Expert:  internal88 replied 2 years ago.

Customer:

Hello, I'm Brandon and here to help you out.

Customer:

P1085 – Fuel control limit mixture too lean (Bank 2 Sensor 1)

P1345 – Misfire Cylinder 2 with Fuel Cut-off

P0174 - System to Lean (Bank 2)

P0171 - System too Lean (Bank 1)

common possibilities

1. Cracked rubber hose connected to the throttle body.

2. A leak in secondary air injector hose which was the vacuum leak .The hose get dry and rotted. I would also recommened to replace fuel filter.

Check the intake boot and MAF sensor.

Customer:

I am getting you more details.

Customer:

Your vehicle is running lean and the ECM is noticing that problem. Therefore it is sending a signal to RICHEN the mixture. You are having an unmetered air leak in the system.

Customer :

How is oil entering the intake system?

Customer:

There is no oil in the intake. The intake meter is giving ECU the signal to increase the fuel.

Customer:

The ECU think the engine is running lean therefore it up the fuel supply to the injectors.

Customer:

Also there is a recall on the igition coils

Customer:

Can you see if you coil is made by BREMI or BOSCH?

Customer:

I am sending the campaign letter.

Customer :

Gotcha

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

The code for the misfire is from the coil.

Customer:

The other codes are about fuel mixture.

Customer:

Therefore please look into the hoses and connectors along the intake. Make sure they're ok.

Customer:

Please also inspect the ignition coil.

Customer:

On the affected vehicles, check the manufacturer of the ignition coils. If BREMI coils are found, replace them with Bosch ignition coils.

Customer:

SI B12 13 05
Engine Electrical Systems

October 2005
Technical Service

PERFORM THE PROCEDURE OUTLINED IN THIS SERVICE INFORMATION ON ALL
AFFECTED VEHICLES THE NEXT TIME THEY ARE IN THE SHOP FOR MAINTENANCE
OR REPAIRS.

SUBJECT
Voluntary Emissions Recall Campaign 05E-A01: BREMI Ignition Coils Replacement

MODEL
E46 with M54/M56 from 09/02 up to 12/04

E39 with M54 from 09/02 up to 07/03

E53 (X5) with M54 from 09/02 up to 12/04

E65/E66 with N62/N73 from 09/01 up to 12/04

E85 (Z4) with M54 from 09/02 up to 12/04

E83 (X3) with M54 from 09/03 up to 12/04

Internal insulation failure of BREMI ignition coils may cause reduced ignition firing power, or ignition coils failure. The customer may complain of erratic engine performance and the "Service Engine Soon"
light illumination.

In order to remedy this situation

Customer:

Please ACCEPT my answer. I don’t get credit for my time and knowledge if you don’t accept. I would still help you after the acceptance. Thank you.

Customer :

I have all Bosch coils. Should I still replace the coil once I find the misfiring cyl?

internal88, Auto Mechanic
Experience: I've been working with automotive industry for almost 20 years. I also have an engineering background. Saving one car at a time.

Yes, replace #2 coil with BMW# XXXXX (Bosch made)

I am sending you another BMW campaign regarding the Engine Wiring Harness Section Replacement for Ignition Coils.

October 2002
Service Engineering

PERFORM THE PROCEDURE OUTLINED IN THIS SERVICE INFORMATION ON ALL AFFECTED VEHICLES BEFORE CUSTOMER DELIVERY OR THE NEXT TIME THEY ARE IN THE SHOP FOR MAINTENANCE OR REPAIRS.

SUBJECT
Engine Wiring Harness Section Replacement for Ignition Coils

MODEL
E46 325i and 330i with M54 engine

E39 525i and 530i with M54 engine

SITUATION
Certain 2003 model year BMW automobiles with M54 engines incorporate an engine harness that may have electrical connectors with a contact force below specifications.

AFFECTED VEHICLES
This Service Action involves E46 3 series and E39 5 series vehicles with M54 engines which were produced from 9/02/02 9/11/02.

In order to determine if a specific vehicle is affected by this Service Action, it will be necessary to utilize the "Service Menu" of the DCS (Dealer Communication System). Based on the response of the system, either proceed with the corrective action or take no further action.

The Chassis Number Ranges listed are only for informational purposes and are not to be considered as the only deciding factor.

CORRECTION
Replace the engine wiring harness section for ignition coils on all affected vehicles.

PROCEDURE
Replace the engine wiring harness section for ignition coils as outlined in repair manual group 12, section 12 51100.

graphic

graphic

You should also change the spark plugs if you haven't done so.

Make sure they're Bosch.