Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

1997 Mercury Mountaineer: performance chip..liter v8 engine

What do think of a performance chip for a 1997 Mercury Mountaineer 5 liter v8 engine??
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
Hi,.

I will tell you what I tell all my other customers, performance chips are a waste of money and time. I have a huge box filled with these "performance chips" that I have removed from customers cars that have damaged either their MAF/IAT sensor or PCM(powertrain control module) . I have also seen them melt the engine pistons due to leaning the engine out too much.They are snake oil, plain and simple, and dont work. They have been proven time and again by Consumer Reports, Car and Track, MythBusters and others to actually decrease fuel mileage, decrease performance and damage components. the only thing inside that chip is a 25 cent resistor that you could buy at radio shack. That is it. If they worked, every car manufacturer would have added them years ago to met Federal Requirements on gas mileage ratings instead of sinking billions into research.

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please click the ACCEPT BUTTON and/or SMILEY FACE to complete transaction or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to click the accept button, however you are not charged again. Thank you.

Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask for more help, otherwise please click the accept button and/or smiley face to pay for services rendered per customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and expert is not paid for their time, knowledge or services until you do so.

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please click the ACCEPT BUTTON to complete transaction or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to click the accept button, however you are not charged again. Thank you.