Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

2006 Hyundai Elantra: install a new intake valve control solenoid

Customer Question

How to install a new intake valve control solenoid for a 2006 Hyundai Elantra?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
This is the only code stored?What are the symptoms you are having with the vehicle?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yellow check engine light stays on while driving car. I installed an O2 sensor and the codes for the O2 sensor went away but the 0077 code valve control solenoid code remained on the computer and the check engine light stays on.
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Ok so there is no engine performance issues or misfiring correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No not at this time. the car starts and runs ok.
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
P0077 would be the oil control valve.It controls the CVVT (constant variable valve timing).It's on the front of the head on the right.Close to the coil pack.This is what will need to be replaced to fix this issue.Also check the wiring to the valve first seen the harness get damaged.These are the next steps.Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you have any suggestions as to where to purchase part. Autozone did not stock this part for Hyundai. Dealer, on line, or some other commercial auto parts store other than Auto Zone or O Reilly. what about NAPA?
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Best option is the dealer so you know its correct and they will know what you are talking about .Ebay is good also as the dealers sell parts on ebay now to make extra money .Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Master Technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Cardoctor 74. I spoke with you last Thurs. about an oil control valve for a 2006 Elantra. I thought the year of the Elantra was 2006 when in fact it is 2004. I don't know if that matters significantly? I purchased an oil control valve 2004 part from a local Hyundai dealer and they guaranteed that it was the right part but it doesn't seem to match what I have tried to locate on the engine block in my visual search. The parts guy here said the new part is easy to replace. The only part that looks like it could be what I am after is located on the bottom right corner of the engine block as I am facing the engine. There are two parts side by side just to the right and below of the vetically aligned catalytic converter and just below a hose connection that runs parallel with the engine block. I think this oil control valve is the right one of the two parts next to each other. The existing part on the engine has a bolt that holds the existing part in place which is directly under the existing part. This existing part is the closest to matching the part I purchased. However visually the existing electrical connection on the wire attached to the existing part doesn't seem to match the new part connection unless the electrical connection on the new part, which is smaller than the existing one on the engine fits inside the existing connector some way. You mentioned the part is located near the coil pack. Not sure exactly. Would your answer be different if my car is 2004 rather than 2006. Any new thoughts after what I have tried to describe?
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Can you post a picture of the part you have and what you think is the part.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have sent several pictures of front of engine and close up of what I think the oil control valve is. Can you confirm with these pictures. The part I purchase from the hyundai dealer will be non-returnable if I open the plastic package it is in according to the dealer. I sent a picture of the part in the plastic bag which you can sort of make out. My side only shows two pictures of the engine. Not sure if the new part picture got through.
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Only 2 pictures can through these are not the parts .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for verifying that what I was thinking was not the part. Found the part. It was slightly different than the new replacement part I purchased from the local Hyundai dealer. I have attached several more pictures to let you see the part and the engine location. When I got the old part out, the new part was shorter in length and the electrical plug in connection seemed different but it plugged into the connection perfectly. I took the new and old part to the dealer parts man and he said that the new part was an updated version and would work with no problem. I installed the new part and it worked. Just thought I'd get back to you and let know.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Excellent glad its fixed.Im here if you ever need anything else.Hoped all this helped and you will come back to me with any further issues and recommend me to family and friends.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.