Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.
9795573

i have oil in air filter box and all around underneath air

i have oil in air filter box and all around underneath air box too
Category: Car
Expert:  David-VAG replied 2 years ago.

Hi could you please supply us with some more information about what sort of car you have and which engine?

Dave

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi its a hyundai tucson 2,0 turbo diesel
Expert:  David-VAG replied 2 years ago.

Hi I'm not familiar with these so I will opt out and allow another expert to assist you further.

Dave

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok will wait for some one else
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. At Just Answer the deposit you pay is not payment to the Expert, I only get paid if you click on accept, we receive no other pay. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed. If you are satisfied with the answer, and feel you can leave a positive feedback please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do.

If oil is inside the air box, it can saturate the air box and drip out. If any oil at all is inside the air box you need to have the engine checked for blowby. If the engine oil is on the outside of the air box only then odds are you have a seal or a gasket failing, and it needs to be cleaned up and the leak needs to be isolated, so it can be determined where the oil is coming from, so repairs can be made.

Blowby is caused by engine wear and is a bad sign. So if you have oil inside the air filter housing it is likely blowby, and you need to have a leak down test to confirm whether blowby is the problem. A quick test for blowby is to remove the oil cap (more evident when the engine is hot), with the engine running. If there is an outward flow of smoke or air you have blowby. Sometimes oil will splash out when checking for blowby with the oil cap off with the engine running, so be ready for that.. What you should see on a healthy engine is a constant rapid inward, and outward pulse. You can also place your hand over the opening and see if it builds pressure, which would indicate blowby. What you should feel with your hand over the opening is a constant rapid inward, and outward pulse, that builds no pressure.
If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. Just Answer is here to serve you. If the answer is not clear, please let me know what additional help you need, and I will assist you further. When you're satisfied, click on the green accept button. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.

Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience: 30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.