Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair

2000 Suzuki Vitara: to my local mechanic..compression..passengers side

Customer Question

Hi Suzuki,

I was driving and my car just quit, Took my 2000 Suzuki Vitara to my local mechanic and he said that compression to the left side of the engine is not working, however the right side passengers side is working. The mechanic said that the cost of replacing the engine was 3900.00 with labor and engine. I am not comfortable with just replacing the engine. The
engine light has been on but a dealer stated that it was the Co2 sensor. Can you please give me some insight. I know the vehicle has 2 timing chains. Oh the model is a JLX model 4 wd.

Thank you,
Lynn- colorado
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.

Tracer :

Hello, I am Randall. I have reviewed your question and working on it now. Will return shortly

Tracer :

You are correct in that there are different chains for each side. i suspect the LH side broke or stripped. teeth on a gear. This means the pistons hit one or more valves. Engine replace is normally not required. just that head removed and the affected valves changed. No short cut from this. A cylinder leakdown test will confirm which and how many are bent. Now.. book time for the chains is 11.8 hours with removing head? 16.8 hours near 21 hours if valves are bent on other side so.. this is very expansive job as then you need the parts etc.. they probably suggest new engine as it can wind up being more cost effective to do that instead of internal repairs

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I just left a message maybe with some other expert on same site. But what do you think I should do now. Sell parts on Craigslist. Car is really nice shape except engine...

tires new, battery etc... Do you think I could trade it in at med ved colorado w/ push, pull, drag ads to upgrade to another vehicle? Or should I take it in to get a diagnostic at $ 120 to give me exact price to fix?

Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Good question and unsure. i cant speak for your finances.

$3900 is a really good price and I really feel you have internal problem if they say no compression now.

I dont know book value on vehicle with bad engine. You may? be able to recover more by piecing out as you mention.

If all else ok, and you can come up with $3900 and it comes with good warranty, this is obviously the way to go so not to lose too much,.

You may find good trade in deal as you mention and just replace it

hard to answer this for you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your advice. Much appreciated!!!
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Wish I had more but hope all goes ok for you on this one. thanks