George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist

mercury milan: rear door lock is locked with door open..unlocked

mercury milan; rear door lock is locked with door open. Cannot get it unlocked to close the door
Category: Car
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Turn off the child lock and insert a screwdriver or a pen into the lock where the lock finger closes around the lock post on the door jamb. This is a circular hole. Put pressure on the finger with the pen or screwdriver pulling outward and pull the inside door release handle. The lock finger should open so the door and lock will operate normally.

Let me know if this helps

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm having trouble finding the circular hole. The lock finger is vertical so it completely blocks the lock post when you try and close the door.
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

The lock finger closes around the lock post as you close the door so all you need to do is put pressure on the finger and then pull the door release to pull the finger open.

Let me see if I can find a diagram

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Never mind. Whatever I did must have fixed it (I guess it was a delayed reaction). Thanks for your help.