Ridgerunnerras
Ridgerunnerras, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  I have been fixing cars for 26 years for myself and at a used Car dealer. I am skill mechnical and autobody and paint repair
54869360

1988 f350: 7.3 diesel (not power stroke..power steering..tanks

Customer Question

I have a 1988 f350 460 gas dully. Can I replace it with a 7.3 diesel (not power stroke. The truck has a 5 speed manuel transmission, power steering dual gas tanks
Category: Car
Expert:  al-mod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I’m a Moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
I have not got an answer yet. I ask for a differant expert for my question
Expert:  Ridgerunnerras replied 2 years ago.

Hello I would like to help you.

You can Swap the 7.3 into your Truck. The Ford Truck f350 chassis are basically the same all the way to 1997.

The best thing you should do is see if you can get the whole donor Truck. This way you will have all of the wiring, and anything else you will need and it will be a lot cheaper that trying to piece it together.

I have done several Engine swaps in other vehicles and having the donor car or truck is a big help.

Ridgerunnerras, Auto Mechanic
Experience: I have been fixing cars for 26 years for myself and at a used Car dealer. I am skill mechnical and autobody and paint repair
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
`What about the transmission , powertrain, electronic for glow plugs and rear

All of that Stuff would need to come from the Diesel Truck.

This is what I meant by getting a donor truck with everything.

The engine will fit but you need to have everything else to go with it.

Motor mounts, radiator, wiring, transmission, gauges...etc the list can get long.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I want to know how much of this stuff is compatible and what I will have to change?
Expert:  david replied 2 years ago.
Hi different expert here, Thank you for your question I will do my best to help.

I have done this swap 4 times on trucks from the late 80s like yours up to a 2010 truck.

Nothing from the gas truck will work with the 7.3 diesel other than the frame.

A donor truck is the best way to go.

This is a short list of the parts you need to swap, Other than the engine.
Manual transmission and transfer case if 4x4
Transmission mounts / crossmember
Computer for the engine, transmission,body
Drive line
Rear axle
front axle if 4x4
Front suspension in not 4x4
Wiring harness both for the engine,transmission and the body.
Radiator and shroud

The list go's on and on. This was just to give you an idea of the work involved.

The good news is this swap can be done in a long week end. If you have the donor 7.3 diesel truck right there. This is a simple swapping of parts from one truck to the other.

Let me know if I can help more.