Zaphod
Zaphod, Diagnostician, Trainer
Experience:  14+ years on an automotive technical hot line; Top Gun Diagnostician award
6510440

2000 ford mustang: no power compression good..cylinders timing chain

2000 ford mustang no power compression good 170lbs all the cylinders timing chain good

Zaphod :

Hi, Jeff here; Sorry to hear your vehicle is ill. Is the CHECK ENGINE light on when it's running?

Zaphod :

Well, if you still need help let us know.

Sorry I missed you in chat, sometimes the system indicates a customer is online when they're not. Anyway, I have a few questions to get us started. Did this loss of power come on suddenly or has it been gradually getting worse? What were the O2 sensor codes you found? Have you tried disconnecting anything else? Do you have a scanner to check some sensor data? There are some common issues with some Ford parts on various vehicles that have driven techs crazy. I await your reply, Jeff
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Check engine light on when running I'll let u know the codes once I put timing cover back together note in park the engine seams to run fine it will rev up to 4 or 5 thousand rpm put In drive no power what do u think
Different engines have different issues: I presume your engine is Ford's 3.8 liter v-6? You can check stored codes with the ignition on, the engine does not have to be running. When revving in park there is no real work being done, in drive the system uses a lot more fuel and various pollution control systems start working. Fords have known issues with EGR passages getting plugged up and MAF [Mass Airflow Sensor] sensors that drift out of calibration or get a little dirty. At this point I'd want to: XXXXX XXXXX codes, check the PCM's calculated altitude using the barometric pressure parameter [a quick MAF checkup], perhaps do a simple MAF test, check for EGR issues, and verify fuel pressure. I'd bet on clogged EGR passages or a dirty MAF. The MAF issue: When the MAF gets dirty it lies to the PCM about the amount of air the engine is ingesting-in Fords it virtually always reports less air than there really is. Based on this lower air volume reading, the PCM gives the engine less fuel-this causes the O2 sensors to report the lean condition and the PCM tries to correct it by adding more fuel. If the amount of fuel added exceeds a certain percentage, a code is tripped for a lean exhaust-most often for both sides of the engine but sometimes one side sets the code first. Data would show if the other side is close to setting a code. With no other malfunctions detected and no other way to measure barometric pressure, the PCM ASSumes the lower air volume is due to an increase in altitude, where there's less air, and it recalculates the barometric pressure parameter [line of data on a scan tool]. Presuming you're at sea level, this parameter should be 99-104kPa [kilopascals] which is the same as 30 inches of mercury [different techs prefer different scales]. If it's lower than 80kPa/25"Hg then this is the problem. The EGR issue: Ford runs exhaust gas back into the intake using an series of internal passages in the intake manifold. After passing through the EGR valve, the exhaust gases are routed through individual passages that end in tiny holes which allow the exhaust gas into the main air passages. As these tiny holes become plugged, the remaining cylinders get more and more exhaust gas. EGR is inoperative at idle and in park or neutral, and if you stuff enough exhaust back into the engine it will misfire [due to the lack of oxygen needed to burn the fuel]. Two quick tests you can do: disconnect the MAF electrical connector, check power in drive-if it's better then the MAF is most likely the bad guy>time for a scanner to help verify this. Disconnect the EGR valve, check power in drive-if it's better then clogged EGR ports are the most likely cause. You may even see improvement in both cases. LEt me know how it goes, Jeff
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i figured out the problem catiliac converter cloughed on one side how are u on dodge 2003 hemi runs really rough i belive broke vale springs on #1 cylinder #1 plug carbon fouled

A compression test will tell you if there's a mechanical issue. Is it using oil? and is the carbon fluffy black or hard crusty black? I presume there's a check engine light on and a misfire code for #1?
jeff
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
p0132 will not idel changed throtel body and oxygen senors
You will have to open another question since this involves another vehicle. Jeff
The P0132 indicates a dead O2 sensor OR an open circuit between the PCM and the sensor. Chrysler JTEC computers [Jeep Truck Engine Controller] apply 5 volts on the sensor signal circuit when it's not responding to a lean fuel delivery command-lean conditions normally cause the sensor to produce a voltage under 0.5v. The code set conditions follow:
The Oxygen Sensor voltage is above 3.99v for 30 seconds. One trip fault. Three good trips to turn off the MIL.

If you have nasty mechanical issues with #1 cylinder it can foul the sensor with oil and you'd get this code. I'd go after compression and pull a valve cover. If the spring is broken, the valve might end up finding a new home in the oil pan as it passes through the piston. This is what happened on the drag race car at the school where I taught Automotive Technology; the valve couldn't close when the piston came back up. This catastrophic failure almost completely ruined the engine: the piston cracked as the rod tried to push it up, and the resulting force cracked the block, perforated the piston and other parts of the valve perforated the head. If there's a lot of noise under the valve cover, it should come off as soon as possible.
Jeff