Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Drivability Level

hoses are new, radiator cap new, and water pump is working

What causes a car to get hot? Water level is fine, hoses are new, radiator cap new, and water pump is working.
Category: Car
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question.

If the thermostat is sticking closed or can't open far enough it can cause overheating. If the radiator is restricted it can cause overheating. If the fan clutch is slipping it can also cause overheating due to a lack of airflow across the radiator.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It takes awhile for it to get hot. So it is not getting hot super fast or anything.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 4 years ago.
Is this mostly when idling or on the highway or both?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
While driving. When parked or if I turn the heater on it sometimes cools a little but not much.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 4 years ago.
This is going to be a tough one to diagnose. I would suspect the radiator, but temperatures should be measured at the upper and lower hoses with an infrared thermometer while the problem is happening. There should be a temperature split between the hoses of at least 20 - 30 degrees or more. if the hoses are the same temperature suspect the radiator for having a restriction. If there is a good split then I would try a thermostat.