Jim
Jim, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  California smog licensed, ASE ceritied in L1, A6, A8 for over 30 years professionally
25319281

I REPLACED FUEL PUMP assy, fuel gauge STILL NOT WORKING ON 2000 AMIGO.

I REPLACED FUEL PUMP ASSY, FUEL GAUGE STILL NOT WORKING ON 2000 AMIGO. HELP!
Category: Car
Expert:  Jim replied 4 years ago.

Jim :

Have you checked for a 5.0 volt reference on the Orange/Green wire at the fuel sending unit with the fuel sending unit unplugged and key on and the ground on the Blue/Yellow wire

Customer:

No I just installed a new assy.

Jim :

This will be what you need to check at this point. Also

There were two fuel sending units available for this vehicle. There was a TSB that if the fuel sending unit was replaced, the ECM would need to be programmed as the new sending unit had higher resistance. The old sending unit specifications were about 20 ohms full and about 120 ohms empty. The new sending unit specifications were about 80 ohms full and about 290 ohms empty. When the new sending unit is replaced, the ECM needs to be programmed for the new updated fuel sending unit since the resistance specifications changed. Sounds like this vehicle has a new fuel sending unit in it and reading 127 ohms would be about 3/4 full.
Customer:

Where can I get it reset?

Jim :

The dealership is more than likely the only one that has the software to do this.

Customer:

I gave the vin # XXXXX isuzu when I ordered the part.

Customer:

I am in alaska and the closest dealer is 180 miles away

Jim :

Check the signals at the sending unit and let me know what you find

Customer:

I will check 5 vt reference soon, week or two, have to pull tranny to replace rear main seal. will check it then.

Customer:

I will accept, but how can I contact you if I need to

Jim :

If there's nothing more that I can get you please click accept to complete this transaction. You're free to ask follow-up questions regarding this issue on this thread.

Customer:

k bye