George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist
13574682

how do remove the roof crossrails from my siderails

Customer Question

Category: Car
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

You have loosened the cross rail ends? Once you do slide the cross rail to the rear and twist slightly and the rail will come out of the roof bars.

Let me know if this works for you

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my wife has taken the car to work overnight, but i didn't notice any place to losen the rail ends .i will look again in the morning
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

OK, they snap open on the ends, do both sides and then you can twist the cross rail out of the roof rails. I will see if I can find a video or procedure for you to view.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so i just pull down on the tabs on the underside of the crossrail,i did see a hingepoint there but was afraid to force it ... are they hard to open
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

They do snap so be a little careful, you cannot break them though.

Let me see what I can find to illustrate the procedure, I will post once I find it

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
excellent thanks
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Sorry I am not finding anything that shows the operation just pictures of the rails installed. The ends do snap open then you slide the rail all the way to one side and lift off the opposite end. A step ladder will help you control the bar so you don't scratch the roof unless you are very tall.

I am sorry but I am unable to locate a visual aid for you

Let me know if you have further questions

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i bent the end of my crossrail trying to pry it like you suggested ...the correct way to remove it is to find all the round sicky circles on the inside of the siderails[the screws are hidden here .then you can remove the trim that covers over the crossrails ends, this will expose the screws to losen the crossrails.. then they can be removed.. my car is now damaged and i will not pay sorry jeff
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry to hear that you tried to remove these before the ends were opened.

At the dealer all we do is remove the rails from the back of the vehicle where they are shipped and snap the ends closed. To open you snap the ends open, side to one side of the vehicle and lift the other side.

I am sorry you damaged your vehicle.