Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair
13677702

My 2003 Mazda Protege 5 makes a strange low cyclic sound (wa wa wa...barely audible in tim

My 2003 Mazda Protege 5 makes a strange low cyclic sound (wa wa wa...barely audible in time with tire rotation) on right turns only. Steering feels ok. I just had new tires and a dealer alignment. It rode rough before new tires and alignment, so never noticed this noise - may have already been there. Dealer said suspension looked good. Other than this noise, drives well. Previous tires had strange flat patches on front left. I also put new brakes/rotors (had a warped rotor). I bought the car new and it has been well maintained and is in very good condition (88K miles). I don't want to go back to the dealer without having a very good idea what is wrong. I'm annoyed this wasn't picked up on earlier by them.
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.

Tracer :

Hello, I am Randall. I have reviewed your question and working on it now. What you are describing is possible LF hub bearing is going bad. When you make a right turn, load / weight shifts to the opposite side of the turn and when extra weight is on a hub bearing going bad, its when you will get the noise. Its not a 911 as sounds like very early stages, Book time is 1.6 hours to change the hub bearing, Unsure of hub cost as not in parts.its rather common problem and sometimes if faint before and new tires, quieter ones now,, this is when you begin to hear more faint noises

Customer:

Any idea what the repair cost is? Should both front bearings be serviced?

Tracer :

I sent the labor time, 1.6 hours, I am unsure of part cost, I am tech and not in parts. maybe a $150 +/- part but pls dont quote me on that.

Tracer :

1.6 x shop rate of $80 per hour = $128 labor

Customer:

That's fine. I understand and just want an idea. Would you recommend servicing both front bearings? I plan on keeping the car for awhile yet..

Tracer :

If budget allows? yes.. they are both same age. few people do however since higher cost

Customer:

I wonder if this made the flat wear marks on my previous LF tire?

Customer:

Or was the cause of it...

Tracer :

It can and cant. hard to explain but a worn bearing does in fact allow a little play in wheel so it could? have been the cause. More common are struts

Customer:

The dealer tech told me the struts were good. The bad bearing sounds like a good suspect. Thanks