Dad Mechanic
Dad Mechanic, Mechanic
Experience:  I have worked on everyting from Model Ts to 2012 Autos,
65581030

Land Rover Freelander: Landrover Freelander, Year 2000 , Engine

Customer Question

Landrover Freelander, Year 2000 , Engine 2000cc Turbo Diesel. My mechanic has just installed a second hand cylinder head as the original one's water path was seriously eroded (like eaten by rust). We used the same other parts such as the camshaft and cover, same inlet and exhaust valves, etc. After driving some 5km, a heavy white smoke came out of the Exhaust pipe continuously. I ask my mechanic to dismantle the second hand cylinder head and we noticed that two adjacent inlet valve was oily and that the inlet paths in the cylinder head had some type of black oily stuff stuck on the aluminium surface internally. Only the two adjacent inlet facing the fuel injector whereas the two other inlet paths and valves were cleaner and drier. My mechanic suggested me to buy a new cylinder head as he thinks that MAY BE THERE IS HAIRLINE CRACKS in the compartments. I would like to have an EXPERT point of view on above comments so that I can take the right decision as here in Mauritius we have Approximate Mechanics. Awaiting for a good reply which worth a payment. Regards, XXXXX XXXXX Mauritius.
Category: Car
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

Did you get a check engine light or were there any codes retrieved after the smoke started?

Did you seem to lose any coolant when this happened?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In fact there was a funny light on the dashboard which light on for some seconds one or two times during the previous four months. And also coolant tank needed to be filled every morning. Thus we remove the cylinder head and find out that coolant was getting in the two middle cylinder as the coolant passages in the cylinder head was rotten ( the oval holes had become larger and getting near to the piston border.

Hope you understand the above.
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

Was this with the original head?

What about the new head?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my previous comments was from the original head. Then we changed for a local second hand one where we get this heavy white smoke after driving for about 5km. See my ORIGINAL QUESTION ABOVE.
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
I just wanted to make sure. Did you lose any coolant with the new head? It does seem to be the head itself or the head gasket that is the problem. Do you have a machine shop available that can pressure test the cylinder head?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No coolant was lost with the new second hand head. But we drive merely five km. I do not know any shop which can do pressure test!!! Can you give an idea how this "pressure test is done". May be I can find some place which can provide for this.
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

A machine shop should be able to do this, if the one you have dealt with cannot, maybe they can reccomend one.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I need two more answer before I can really accept. Where is the OIL coming from to get through the inlet valve??? And what is this oily black stuff on the wall of the inlet passage??? Please read again my very first Question and give me your final expert diagnostic of problem as I need to decide if I need to fly to South Africa to buy a new head for a nearly twelve years old car. Regards, XXXXX XXXXX Mauritius.
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

If those cylinders were not firing correctly, that could be fuel or it could engine oil pulled into cylinder when it was not firing, or a combination of both. By firing I mean a lack of combustion or complete combustion in the cylinder which could be caused by coolant entering the combustion chamber.

I wish I could give you a more definative answer, but I can only use the info you gave me and it is difficult when you cannot see it for yourself..

Thanks,

Neal

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You're still not answer my questions above. Why this heavy white smoke after only 5km drive after installing the second-hand cylinder head? Please note that I am not a mechanic but I know a bit of engines, mainly gasoline one as I was a rally and go-kart driver some years back.
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

I think it is from either coolant or oil getting into the combustion chamber due to a defect in the head or the head gasket. The defect may get worse as the cylinder head heats up or the problem developed soon after the repair. I have to speculate here as I cannot examine it myself.

This is the best I can offer based on your information. If you like I will opt out and see if anyone else has any input.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
This suppose expert seems to turn around the table and does not properly read my questions and comments. I finally check his profile and surprised to see that he has knowledge as fire-fighter and paramedic. may be must re-orient this man.
Expert:  Dad Mechanic replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for your trouble. I may be able to answer your questions. In my experance after you replace a head or head gasket on avehicle that has been using coolant there is a residual amount of coolat left in the exhaust system and now the exhaust is running hotter now it is burning the coolant that was left in the muffler out whih may take sometime, posibly you have damaged the rings by running coolant for sometime throught the engine, now the pcvalve is pulling oil through it, check the pcv hose to see if it has an abundance of wet oil in it. It may also be the turbo bearing or turbo seals are going bad and oil is leaking out of the turbine seals. I hope this answers some of your questions. Please get back to me if you have more questions. your head probably is ok. Jim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much Jim. Now I have some more logic reasoning. Please let me check your guideline with my mechanic during the weekend and will come back to you for an update. I will be pleased then to accept your answer with even a small SATISFACTION bonus.Regards,Michael.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much Jim. Now I have some more logic reasoning. Please let me check your guideline with my mechanic during the weekend and will come back to you for an update. I will be pleased then to accept your answer with even a small SATISFACTION bonus.Regards,Michael. Oops, a quick one, What is the PCV Hose???
The positive crankcase ventilation valve some cars / diesel have a road draft tube to ventilate excess oil vapor pressure some use a intake manifold vacuum. Hose between engine and air intake system. (ask your mechanic )
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dear XXXXX,
We have finally find the possible culprit for excess oil intake in the cylinder. It seems to be the inlet valve guide in copper metal as this guide seems to have worn out to allow too much clearance for the valve to open & close at high speed. We have decided to replace all the eight valve guides (inlet and exhaust). IS THIS A GOOD MOVE???
I hope that i was some help to you glad you have some answers. sometimes you really need to see a vehicle to diagnose a problem.Thanks For using Just Answers. Jim
Dad Mechanic, Mechanic
Experience: I have worked on everyting from Model Ts to 2012 Autos,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dear Jim,

We have finally reassemble the re-worked head cylinder and the engine seems running fine but we have not yet test in on high rev speed. We hope everything will be fine from now and will come back to you for any other query/advice as my freelander is nearly 12years old now. Hope your advice can be at discounted rate.

Regards,
Michael.
I don't know anything about discounted rates, I'm fairly new here. I'm glad that I was able to help you in some respect. Thanks for using Just Answers. Jim