Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Olds Cutlass cruiser supreme: Hi. 92 olds 3.1 litter hesitates

Hi. 92 olds 3.1 litter hesitates and bucks under load and accel sometimes
Changed tps iac and fuel filter the first run after fuel filter was good but second run started again. Car ideals normal. Also changed Map sensor
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

does the engine light stay on?

tims auto repair :

if so,can you give me the computer codes?\

Customer: I have a code reader and there are no engine codes
Customer: Engine light is not on
Customer: Hello are you still there
tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

to me..from the way you explain the problem

tims auto repair :

it sounds as if the first thing you need to do here

tims auto repair :

is to tune it up

tims auto repair :

new plugs and wires

Customer: It had new plugs and wires a year ago
Customer: I also cleaned the throttle body today
tims auto repair :

how long has it been doing this?

Customer: Well it's my In laws car. They had it do this before they went to Arizona then it was fine for a month then it did this again then it did it again and a mechanic put in the new icm then a few weeks later it started again on the way home
tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

lets tune it up first

tims auto repair :

even though it is just a year old

tims auto repair :

sometimes plug wires will just break down

tims auto repair :

i would think this may fix your problem

tims auto repair :

if not

tims auto repair :

lets remove the icm and have it tested at your local parts store

tims auto repair :

if it test ine,,

tims auto repair :

replace the crank sensor

tims auto repair :

any of these can cause your problem...and not give a code

Customer: It can't be anything else ? What if it's not that ? Coil ? The mechanic today says it should. Not be ignition spark or wire related as it is an intermittent problem
Customer: Crank sensor is a big job ?
tims auto repair :

no

tims auto repair :

it is in the side of the engine block

tims auto repair :

has just one 10mm bolt

tims auto repair :

just one second please

tims auto repair :

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

tims auto repair :

1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme FWD V6-189 3.1L
Crankshaft Position Sensor Service and Repair, Procedures: Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement

32_90cec3-006.png
Full Size Image

Typical DIS Crankshaft Sensor

REMOVE OR DISCONNECT:

1. Negative battery cable.
2. Electrical connector from the crankshaft sensor.
3. Sensor hold-down bolt.
4. Sensor from engine.
5. Inspect the crankshaft sensor O-ring for cracks, wear or leakage. Before installing new sensor, lubricate the new O-ring with engine oil.

INSTALL OR CONNECT:

1. New sensor into the hole in the engine block.
2. Tighten the sensor hold-down bolt and torque to 10 Nm (88 in lbs).
3. Crankshaft sensor electrical connection.
4. Negative battery cable.
5. Before starting engine perform IDLE LEARN PROCEDURE.

Customer: What's idle lean procedure
tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

sorry

tims auto repair :

Fuel Delivery and Air Induction Service and Repair, Procedures: Idle Learn Procedure

IDLE LEARN PROCEDURE:
Any time the battery is disconnected, the programmed position of the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve pintle is lost, and replaced with a default value. To return the IAC valve pintle to the correct position, perform the following procedure:

1. After restoring battery power, connect the Tech 1 or equivalent "Scan" tool.
2. Select "IAC System," then select "Idle Learn" in the "MISC TEST" mode.
3. Proceed with idle learn as directed.
^ This procedure allows the Electronic Control Module (ECM) memory to be updated with the correct IAC valve pintle position, for the vehicle, and provide a stable idle speed.

tims auto repair :

you may not need to do a relearn,,the idle will most times staighten out itself

tims auto repair :

Customer: Crank position sensor could stop car from starting
tims auto repair :

yes

tims auto repair :

i really think a tune up will fix you

Customer: What about pulling each plug to see if coil is working by grounding plug to engine and looking for spark wouldn't that also tell the condition of plugs and wires
tims auto repair :

this wont work

tims auto repair :

the plug wires will spark this way

Customer: Why not
tims auto repair :

but,,there is really no way to tell if they are breaking down

tims auto repair :

you will need to replace them

Customer: I just hope replacing plugs and wires will not be another wast
tims auto repair :

i understand

tims auto repair :

but again,,there is no good way to test them

tims auto repair :

and,,it sounds as if yours is bad

tims auto repair :

a plug wirecan look bran new,,but still be bad

tims auto repair :

ohming them dont work,,because you can not dublicate the high voltage

tims auto repair :

Customer: so why would it run fine and then intermittently not work. Should it not be constant. ? And what about coil packs ?
tims auto repair :

the coils is a possibility

tims auto repair :

but,,the problem sounds as if it is the plugs and wires

tims auto repair :

they will do this

tims auto repair :

i see this allot

Customer: Kk. How do you access them behind the block they seem tight and hard to access
tims auto repair :

it is tight

tims auto repair :

lol

tims auto repair :

leave the car in park

tims auto repair :

and hand push the car forward

tims auto repair :

this will rotate the engine to give you more room

tims auto repair :

when you hand push the car forward..chuck the wheel,so it wont roll back

tims auto repair :

Customer: And if this dosent work what would you try next ?
tims auto repair :

what i have stted at the beginning of our conversation

tims auto repair :

read the first of our conversation

tims auto repair :

Customer: Ok. Maybe il give it a try thank you !
tims auto repair :

you are very welcome

Customer: It wouldn't be the ECM ?
tims auto repair :

i wouldnt think so

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.