Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

silverado 1500: 130k ..in the morning the transmisiom slips..warms

Customer Question

I just bought 01 sivarado 1500 4x4 excab 130k ..in the morning the transmisiom slips around2-3 gear for about the first minute of driving, then when it warms up its just fins, is there a cheap fix or what should I do?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

sense it seems to slip only when the fluid is cold and thick..

tims auto repair :

the first thing to try here is a new filter

tims auto repair :

it sounds as if it is clogged up

tims auto repair :

with it being clogged,it would be hard for the cold thicker fluid to go through a clogged filter

tims auto repair :

after the trans warms a little,,the fluid gets much thinner

tims auto repair :

thus,letting it go though the filter better,giving it more pressure

tims auto repair :

letting this trans shift better

tims auto repair :

though it does bother me that it is slipping going into 3rd

tims auto repair :

allot of people never change the filter till its too late

tims auto repair :

and it is somewhat common for the 3-4 clutches to burn out from neglect

tims auto repair :

so,,change the filter and the fluid

tims auto repair :

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Customer : one more? why I got ya here,I have a 2000 suburban just had trans rebuilt put it, and there no ody home,wo.t go into gear at all like its neutral..I'm thinking the transfer case is toast,cuz it wont engage at all whatsoever?
tims auto repair :

well....the way you check this is to see if it holds in park

tims auto repair :

if it holds in park,,then you know the transfer case is connecting,,and the transfer case isnt the problem

tims auto repair :

if it dont hold in park,,then,it may be the case

tims auto repair :