Alex, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, L1 Advanced Level Specialist

Hi Id like an expert opinion on dayco pulleys/bearings (in terms

Hi I'd like an expert opinion on Dayco pulleys/bearings (in terms of quality)
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be assisting you with your question.

Dayco is a decent aftermarket brand. We use Dayco belts and tensioners/pulleys in the shop all the time and haven't had any issues with them that I can remember. I think Dayco is probably a step above Dorman and a step below Gates on the quality ladder.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok thanks can you tell me .. my tensionner pulley (bearing) is getting worn (82 000 miles) and I would be able to get a Dayco pulley for 30$ or a Gates tensionner assembly with pulley for 100$ what would you do? Can the tensionner seize someday if I don't change it?
I would suggest getting a wrench on the automatic tensioner and rotate it. Not the pulley but the sprung part of the tensioner. If it rotates smoothly and does not feel like it is weak or binding , then there is no need to replace the tensioner part and you can just replace the pulley.

However, if you find that the tensioner feels like it is binding when you turn it or it feels too loose, replace the whole tensioner assembly.