Dad Mechanic
Dad Mechanic, Mechanic
Experience:  I have worked on everyting from Model Ts to 2012 Autos,

alternator..car wont start..fuse panel under the hood..blown

Hi, i replaced the alternator and starter on a 99 or 2000 daewoo nubira, now last night the car won't start. I checked the fuse panel under the hood and found that the ignition fuse #1 was blown, 30 amps, i replaced it and it blew right away. Any suggestions?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dad Mechanic replied 2 years ago.

JACUSTOMER-j74d4cev- :

Sorry you are having trouble. Have you started the car since you replaced the 2 units or is it the first attempt 2 start it.

JACUSTOMER-j74d4cev- :

I see your online have you read my reply?

JACUSTOMER-j74d4cev- :

Hello are you there?

Customer:

Hi sorry im at work, I replaced the alternator and starter about a week ago and then last night it wouldn't even try to start. No solenoid clicking or starter motor turning. Just a burnt out fuse in the fuse block under the hood, ignition fuse #1 30 amps

JACUSTOMER-j74d4cev- :

So it worked fine after you replaced the 2 units or it has never worked since?

Customer:

It worked fine up until last night

Customer:

I am on lunch now, so i'll have about a half an hour

JACUSTOMER-j74d4cev- :

I was looking at the wireing diagram and the A/C clutch relay is connected in that circuit try removing the A/C relay and see if that helps to isolate the problem.

JACUSTOMER-j74d4cev- :

also the defor relay is in the same circuit.

JACUSTOMER-j74d4cev- :

defog

Customer:

Ok I will try that when I get home tonight, hopefully before 7:00 pm central.

JACUSTOMER-j74d4cev- :

I will try to send diagram tomarrow when i figure out how to upload it to J/A. Jim

Customer:

Hi again, I removed the AC relay and fuse, turned the key and nothing happens, if i turn the key and hold it the starter motor begins to spin but extremely slow, then it burns out ignition fuse # XXXXX again

JACUSTOMER-j74d4cev- :

It seems that you have a ground probllem you may have hooked up the wires wrong on the starter when installing or dropped a main ground from the battery to the engine or starter or maybe a corrision problem. seems like you are back feeding from somewhere. I usually work backward from the end of my repair. Good luck Don't be afraid to get back in touch with me. Jim

Customer:

It worked for a week or so prior to this, so maybe I go back and take the starter out and check all of the connections? Thats where you would start?

JACUSTOMER-j74d4cev- :

Yes I hope that solves your problem, keep intouch i'll be waiting to hear from you. Jim

JACUSTOMER-j74d4cev- :

Just found out how to upload when i go in in the AM i'll send that diagram.

JACUSTOMER-j74d4cev- :

Wireing diagram
Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-j74d4cev- :

I sent wireing like I promised. Jim Please accept If i have helped you. and Thanks for using Just Answers.

Customer:

between tonight and tomorrow hopefully i get something figured out and accomplished

JACUSTOMER-j74d4cev- :

ok keep me in the loop. if you wish I can opt out if you think some one else may be of more assistance to you. Jim

Customer:

I messed with the car on friday for a while and no luck, i did trick it into starting by using the hot wire from the solenoid but then it seems like the starter sticks.

JACUSTOMER-j74d4cev- :

Well if you have a multimeter you can check the voltage at the starter. Being that you were able to jump the terminals and make it work. Lets check the voltages. First disconect the small wire froom the key now have someone hold the key in the start position check the wire with the meter, set the meter to thr 20 or 50 volt DC setting + meter to wire - to any grounded serface. Now you should have battery voltage. If you don't you have a power feed problem . Now do the same to the large power wire on the starter, again you should have battery voltage. If the starter turned sluggish seems you have a connection problem. battery ground to the engine or body to ground. Possibily ground stud. Check the power in the same way. Hope this helps please keep me in the loop. Jim

Customer:

Do you know which wire loom at the key, or colors? As i had that apart on friday and there is a lot going on down there, and the wire diagram came through a bit fuzzy and i wasn't able to enlarge it any.

JACUSTOMER-j74d4cev- :

Well that wiring diagram was only for thecircuit panel for the relays. I realy think you have a ground problem!!! I'm not thinking you have an ignition switch problem. I realy think you sould do the check i sugested first to eliminate ground or power problems. Look for carroded and burnt wire. Jim

Customer:

Hopefully tonight I will have some time to do more.

JACUSTOMER-j74d4cev- :

Any new news? Jim

Customer:

I took the starter out last night and went to O Reilys to have it tested, it passed. I then checked all of the voltages like you suggested, and did the turn the key test, that all passed. I even double checked to make sure i had continuity through all of the wires that passed too. I put the starter back in and hooked everything up and tried it again, the starter spins but really slow again but doesn't blow a fuse. This afternoon I'm gonna screw with it some more. If you want or can my number is XXXXX as I wont come back to work to check this until monday probably as I don't have the internet at home. Thanks

JACUSTOMER-j74d4cev- :

I tryed to write you before and it got lost. Ihad a thought baybe you shoud hook a set of jumper cables to the hot wire on the starter and neg to the starter body. Now try the starter and see if it works. Im sure if this works yu have bad connections, dirty, or corroided or maybe burnt up cables. quit possible you could have a bad battery, possibly when you disconected the cable you may have broken the lead conections inside. you may shhow 12 volts but not enough to have enough amperage to run the starter. About calling you I guess they don't alloww that your phone number is XXXXX X's. Jim ( let me know how you make out, Remnber i don't get paid till you accept.

Customer:

I tried a ground jumper to the starter that produced nothing. When I trick the starter into working it keeps running and doesn't disengage. I'm beginning to wonder if I have a bad remanufactured starter. As for hooking up jumper cables to the starter that is going to be pretty impossible as I can barely see the starter.

JACUSTOMER-j74d4cev- :

I'm sure you could have gotten a bad starter. You haveen't said where you purchasesd the starter but mose chain parts stores have a test bench they would be happy to test your starter. you can test it with jumper cables on the ground when you remove it. jim

Customer:

I got it from O Reilly Auto parts. They tested the new one once already, it works just fine on the test bench. The one I replaced worked ok on the test bench too but wouldn't start the car

JACUSTOMER-j74d4cev- :

I'm sorry i'm running out of ideas. The only other thing i have for you at this point is to try to jump start another car with your battery to see if your batter has bad connections inside. I would disconect the battery in the other car and try connecting cables to your battery in the Daewoo with out disconecting anything this will enminate your batter as the problem. I just can't believe it's anything but bad connections. If you wish I will opt out and give another expert a an opertunity to help you. Sorry I haven't been able to isolate you problem yet. Jim

Customer:

It won't be till tomorrow night or thursday when I will have time to try again

JACUSTOMER-j74d4cev- :

Ok hope you find something soon. Jim

Customer:

Hi sorry, we had a baby last week and I took the whole week off. Depending on the weather this week I should have some more time.

Dad Mechanic :

Keep me informed with anything you find, it was a time since we talked, I had to review what we had talked about. Keep me informed in what you find. Good luck with the new little one. Hope you get to sleep. I now the first couple weeks can be rough. Jim

Customer:

It was a bad solenoid on the and starter bendix on the remanufactured starter from O Reiliys.

Dad Mechanic :

Glad to hear you have gotten you car running, Jim

Dad Mechanic, Mechanic
Experience: I have worked on everyting from Model Ts to 2012 Autos,