Mark
Mark, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  22 Years Experience...Factory Trained and Certified

cap placed on the gas tank, with the seal, of 97 plymouth Neon?

how is cap placed on the gas tank, with the seal, of 97 Plymouth Neon?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer my name is Mark.

Just need to clarify something.....

Are you working on the fuel pump module retaining ring? Is this the "cap" you're having trouble with?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes; exactly
Expert:  Mark replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thanks. So what part is giving you difficulty?

I've uploaded the removal and installation procedure and you can download the pdf file by clicking HERE.

Let me know what part is giving you trouble, or whether this helps to answer your question.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This doesn't explain there are two seal; one on the pump and one on the cover. The one that is giving me difficulty is the one that goes under the cap.
Expert:  Mark replied 2 years ago.
There is only supposed to be one seal. The seal goes around the tank opening, then the pump module is installed into the tank, and then the plastic lock nut is used to tighten everything in place.

The seal between the tank and the pump module is what prevents leaks, and there is no other seal needed.

I hope this information is helpful and let me know if you need further assistance with this.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My problem is, I got the tank from a salvage yard, and there were two different seals on the tank, Not to mention, they're also diffrernt. One is hard plastic, and the other is soft rubber.In lieu of your answer, I'm going to go with that, but I'm not sure which seal to use.
Expert:  Mark replied 2 years ago.
You need to use the soft rubber seal.

Mark, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 22 Years Experience...Factory Trained and Certified