Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

1999 Nissan Maxima: 120k miles..morning, I had to replace my battery

Hi. I have a 1999 Nissan Maxima with 120K miles on it. This morning, I had to replace my battery for the third time in three years (first in Feb 2010, then in July 2011, then today). The alternator was also replaced in Feb 2010. The mechanic who replaced it today said it's because I'm not running the car enough. I live in a city and only move the car twice a week to move it for alternate side parking rules, and about once a month will do a longer trip of an hour or more. Could that be the problem?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

yes,,this could be the problem

tims auto repair :

you need to start it from time to time,,,when you arent driving it

tims auto repair :

start it and just let it idle for about 5 minutes or so

tims auto repair :

once every 3 or 4 days

tims auto repair :

this should keep the battery up

tims auto repair :

or..you may want to purchace a solsr battery maintainer

tims auto repair :

this will just plug into the lighter,,,,and keep the battery charged when not in use

tims auto repair :

click the link below

tims auto repair :

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Customer:

I assume you meant a solAr battery maintainer? What voltage do you think I need? And is there a particular brand you've had good experience with?

Customer:

And what wattage? I see a 5-watt and a 1.8watt from Sunforce that seem pretty popular on Amazon.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

sorry i was off line....the 1.5 watt 12v from northern works great for this,,,please click the link above to see it

tims auto repair :

thanks

tims auto repair :

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.